X

carb/airbox help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pics of airbox

Finally got the pics of the air box. The first is a close up of the #'s on the side. They're kinda hard to see so here they are.
    SUZUKI
    O48B10
    O19C00
    O20C00
    O20C10
    Attached Files
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

It looks right and the numbers on the side look like a Suzuki part number and equivalents. (048B10-19C00, 048B10-20C00 and 048B10-20C10) Problem is that none of those part numbers brings back anything on a parts search and the parts fiche I looked at doesn't give a part number for the airbox, itself.

Edit: I just looked at the airbox in my spare parts bin. Those numbers exactly match the ones on the side of an airbox from a '94 750 Kat. Now you get to look at the boots. I suppose it's possible chucklehead put the wrong boots on the right airbox.
      Last edited by Wild-Bill; 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thats what I love about getting someone else's project. No telling what they screwed up. I was really starting to hope t was just the wrong airbox. Think it would have been easier to find than trying to make sure I get the correct boots and not another set of what I already have.

Just measured the inside diameter o the boots and looks like its running around 48-49mm.
        Guess I'm looking for alot larger than that.
        Last edited by phantasm; 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

pop the boots out of the airbox, soak them in boilign water and jam each one on the carb and let them cool while on the carbs. do this a couple times

then install them back in the air box and install as you normally would.

the hot water will allow you to easily stretch the smaller boots to fit the larger carbs with out them splitting or cracking. This is how we stretch manifolds to fit larger carbs when larger ones are not available
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

No-money mod FTW!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My wife will love that. Told me I was spending too much and the kids needed stuff. I told her to sell a kid. Gotta have priorities .

Comment

The way my kids have been lately I'm thinking sell all three of them whether we need the money or not.

(Only problem is that the way they've been lately I'd have to pay somebody to take them!)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Rainy day so decided to boil the boots. Man it is a stretch but believe I can get them on. I am using a tapered form I made first to make it a little easier when I go to put them on the carbs. Only problem so far is when I pull them off the form they want to shrink back to normal size. We are getting into tornado season here so at least I will have time indoors to get it straight.

Comment

let them cool completely on the carbs.

repeat a coupl,e times if you have to but they usually stretch and maintain the new shape.

when it comes to putting them back on the bike and attaching the air box warm up the boots with a hair dryer or heat gun and wiggle um on.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Would have never thought of the hair dryer. Thanks. I'll tell you one thing, I don't think I have to worry about any leakage around them. They're all but painted on.

Comment

yea... suprising how much they'll stretch even with the hair dryer to warm them up.
                        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Yeah. Gonna snap some before and after pics to post later. I would never have thought they'd? Stretch 3/4 inch or more.

Comment

As promised here they are. A little hard to see but stretched the outside boots al least a full 1/4 inch to fit. Haven't got to the inside ones yet but I think with a little effort and some more second degree burns from the hot water, I should be able to get them. Think once they are on I'll try to put the airbox on the boots while they're on the carbs. Talk about squeezing 10lbs of cap into a 5lb package. Tight fit to say the least.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You're going to need to put those boots back on the airbox with some weatherstripping glue or RTV. Otherwise you'll have air leaks there.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                                As promised here they are. A little hard to see but stretched the outside boots al least a full 1/4 inch to fit. Haven't got to the inside ones yet but I think with a little effort and some more second degree burns from the hot water, I should be able to get them. Think once they are on I'll try to put the airbox on the boots while they're on the carbs. Talk about squeezing 10lbs of cap into a 5lb package. Tight fit to say the least.

Um....

Could you take a pic of the boots your working with, a little wider frame to show the entire boot, from the side view.

That's looking like you got the wrong end on the carb...

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X