X

Bearing's won't come out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    That replacement guarantee is for if they fail during NORMAL use. It doesn't cover using a screwdriver as a punch. They'll hand it right back to you. Don't believe me? Try returning one after you do that.
    Actually...
    Now granted this was a while ago, I handed the Sears guy a small flat blade screw driver (they used to actually get the tools for you) and he came back..
    "I have looked all over, I can't find this anywhere, is it really old? Maybe we don't make it anymore?"
    Me: Would it help if I told you it used to be a Phillips head screwdriver? I ground it down into a flat blade"
    Hon: "Oh.. OK"
    He found it..

Comment

I'm sure that WAS a while ago. Try that now.

Comment

Yeah... When was I last in a Sears? Ummm Oh yeah to register my car..

St Paul DMV is in the Sears
        But for tools?
        Umm 1994?

Comment

What about heat? Good or bad idea? Not sure on an aluminum rim but I can't see it hurting really...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Actually...
            Now granted this was a while ago, I handed the Sears guy a small flat blade screw driver (they used to actually get the tools for you) and he came back..
            "I have looked all over, I can't find this anywhere, is it really old? Maybe we don't make it anymore?"
            Me: Would it help if I told you it used to be a Phillips head screwdriver? I ground it down into a flat blade"
            Hon: "Oh.. OK"
            He found it..
            I think it all depends on the guy behind the counter. one might just exchange it without hesitation, the next might ask you a gazillion questions.

Originally posted by Danskat View Post
            What about heat? Good or bad idea? Not sure on an aluminum rim but I can't see it hurting really...
            never in my life have I seen a bearing on a bike require heat to remove.
            never have I seen a bearing that I had to whack more than 5 times to remove.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 04-20-2011, 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

When I'm in a "precise" mood, I'll grab a piece of scrap stock, fire up my lil lathe, and produce a proper sized punch/driver for the task at hand. But for those other times, the garbage set of screwdrivers fit the bill.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Got them out last night. I used a big screwdriver and it worked like magic. Now I just have to get the new ones in and I'm ready to roll.

Comment

Comment

Freeze the new ones overnight and then use the old ones to drive them in. Don't forget to install the spacer before driving the second bearing in.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

please heat the hubs
                      I have seen so many busted hubs in my day from people hammering out cold bearings

heat the hub with a propane torch or heat gun and the bearings basically fall out with a few light taps from the inside.

same with installing the new ones... heat the hubs, freeze the bearings over night then install them
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                      X