Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Few random questions(plug type, jet size etc)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few random questions(plug type, jet size etc)

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of taking my carbs apart to gain some mileage and to see the general condition of them, and decided to get whatever I need fixed at this point when the carbs are out.

So it turns out I need new plug wires and plug boot. The metal is corroded inside and is barely making any contact Surprised the bike ran like this. I'm going to switch to NGK Iridums, and wanted to verify that DR8EIX is the correct model for my bike(1990 GSX600F).

Then there are the matter of the jets, what should I look for to tell if the jets are aftermarket(DJ or FP)? Will they have special stamping on it or do I strictly have to go by the numbers?

The cylinder head cover gasket kit that retails for approx $250, what does that include exactly? I've added up all the gaskets on the cylinder head cover individually and I still can't get it to equal $250! Must be missing something...

And lastly, what can I use to clean up the plastic throttle slides for the carbs, and I suppose engine plastics in general? My airbox needs a good cleaning, along with bunch of misc plastic parts. I don't know if berryman's chem dip would work on these plastics, or eat them up. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Also if anyone have a valvecover they want to get rid of, I'm in need of one. Mine has a very slight crack which was the cause of the massive oil leak. Would prefer not to pay $150 for one if possible lol

Originally posted by ProfessorHM View Post
    Then there are the matter of the jets, what should I look for to tell if the jets are aftermarket(DJ or FP)? Will they have special stamping on it or do I strictly have to go by the numbers?
    The DJ main jets are smaller in diameter than Mikuni main jets. FP doesn't use after market main jets. FP uses Mikuni main jets. A much easier way to tell is look at the needles. Do they have grooves for the e-clip? 5 or 6 grooves? DJ has 6, FP has 5. OE is not adjustable. The OE main jet is a Mikuni 112.5. FP has a set of 112.5, 115, and 117.5. Mikuni goes in increments of 2.5. DJ has 106, 110, 116, 120, 130, and 134 in their kit
    Last edited by arsenic; 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      The DJ main jets are smaller in diameter than Mikuni main jets. FP doesn't use after market main jets. FP uses Mikuni main jets. A much easier way to tell is look at the needles. Do they have grooves for the e-clip? 5 or 6 grooves? DJ has 6, FP has 5. OE is not adjustable. The OE main jet is a Mikuni 112.5. FP has a set of 112.5, 115, and 117.5. Mikuni goes in increments of 2.5. DJ has 106, 110, 116, 120, 130, and 134 in their kit
      Thanks for the info arsenic! Off the top of my head I guess I have one of the DP or FP jet kits based on the grooves for the eclip. The eclips are set to the very top groove on the needle(with the pointy end facing down), which I hear is the leanest setting? Mine did come with a vance & hines complete exhaust, which was probably the reason for the kit.

Will be checking the jet numbers once I get home to verify. Thanks again.

Comment

Yes, that is the leanest mid-range setting. In other words, the guy that put the jet kit in, has to take a refresher course on what a carburetor actually is.
        This is what a well built set of 90-97 600 carbs with a brand new FP kit looks like:

What air filter are you using? If it's anything but the OE air box and filter, you are loosing. With the OE air box and filter, you should have either 115's with FP or DJ110 with DJ.
        Last edited by arsenic; 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

wow, you could eat off those float bowls! The whole bike is put together in a way that they simply tried to mask the issues. The guy probably tried to lean it out because it's running ridiculously rich, instead of trying to figure out the real problem. Not to mention one of the levers for the choke was bent on carb #1 so wasn't engaging I basically have a mickey moused bike...kind of regretting purchasing it but what can ya do.

Btw, didn't know that the floats were supposed to be white lol Thought they all came in the brownish-red color from factory haha

Comment

Nope, they are white when they are new. They turn off white the longer they sit in gas. You could always buy a good set of carbs and that would take care of 90% of your issues. But I sell rebuilt carbs, so I have kind of a biased opinion.

Comment

Ugh, looks like I have the dynojet kit unfortunately. Main jet is 110 and have 6 notches on the needle. I'm thinking of springing for a factory pro kit and not dealing with trying to get the dynojet kit to run proplerly.

Anyone know where I can get the factory pro kit? Bike bandit doesn't carry them for my bike, and the factory pro website is a disaster.

Comment

Dynojet is perfectly fine if you don't use a K&N or some dumb crap.

Comment

Ah ok, thanks arsenic. I just read how dynojet is a pita to tune. Should I set the eclip to the 3rd notch on the needle? Only mod on the bike are the complete vance and hines exhaust system.

Comment

Yes, the problem with Dynojet is they are a pita to tune with a K&N. If you use the OE filter, they're fine. Everyone THINKS you should use a K&N with a jet kit. I can't tell you how many kinds of wrong that is.

Comment

Yep, seems like it. Including the PO lol I need to remove that and put in a stock filter.

Comment

So, you had DJ110 mains with a full exhaust and a K&N air filter? Hummm, that ain't right. Should have be DJ 120 main jets.
                        BTW all the jetting stuff was off the top of my head. I just actually checked and I'm right about everything. Kinda rubs off when this is what you do.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 04-20-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Yep, 110 main jets. Would that be alright for use with just the full exhaust system and stock air filter?

I don't doubt your knowledge, if you work with them all day long, no choice but to just absorb it all haha

Comment

Yeah, DJ110 main is what you're supposed to use with a full exhaust and the OE filter.
                            carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 90-97
                            Here's a DJ jetted set all ready to go. Stage 1 with OE filter with the jets included for full exhaust. If you want them, I'll put the DJ 110 mains in. I'll refund part of your payment for a core when I recieve your current set.
                            Last edited by arsenic; 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X