X

Valve adjustment questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deathbyfryingpan View Post
    Can you post up what it sounds like? Is it similar to a buzz, or definitely a tick?
    Certainly a tick. It's the rocker arm hitting the valve stem. It's not a buzz, it's a knock.

Comment

Originally posted by deathbyfryingpan View Post
      Can you post up what it sounds like? Is it similar to a buzz, or definitely a tick?

its definately a tick. I have a very positive feeling my intakes are too tight. the tick gets louder as the bike warms up.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
        ah I see
        Unless you get into serious engine tuning, like cam degreeing. You really don't need to know what a positive stop is.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Unless you get into serious engine tuning, like cam degreeing. You really don't need to know what a positive stop is.
          yeah , figured. I think its enough for me to align the T mark correctly to the pickup. I just need to follow instructions , not what I think is instructions
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            A positive stop has zero to do with that. You screw a positive stop where the spak plug goes and it stops the piston at TDC.
            Top Dead Center (TDC) Tools
            You could use a dial indicator, right?

Comment

What are you asking BP? When you degree cams you use a dial indicator after you use a positive stop to find TDC. I'm sure you could somehow you a dial indicator to find TDC, but I don't know how.

Comment

alright, the valves are done correctly now. the carbs are synced and everything is good. only problem is that im so tired of this tinkering that I at times wanted to sell the kat !!! but then I snapped out of it and realized its too AWESOME !!!!!!!!
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

It will be easier next time!
                  If for some reason you need TDC you can use a straw u wont scratch anything nor loosen any top carbon for your rings to deal with, not to mention a loose steel rod can interfere when angled in the cylinder.

Comment

I must have made the same mistake as you mammut.

When I got my replacement engine I adjusted the valves before I put the engine in the frame.

I have a 5 degree advancer and I think I used the tip of the advancer instead of the line too... hmm can't remember now.

I thought it was weird that every single exhaust and intake was too tight...

So a valve adjustment and carb sinc are in my near future.

Glad you got your motor running well again.

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                    alright, the valves are done correctly now. the carbs are synced and everything is good. only problem is that im so tired of this tinkering that I at times wanted to sell the kat !!! but then I snapped out of it and realized its too AWESOME !!!!!!!!
                    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                    X