X

Water in carbs? How?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in carbs? How?

So, I bought my '02 Katana after a guy killed himself on it (mistake #1--it's cursed). The plastic was shredded, but everything else seemed to be in good shape. It rides great, but there is one issue:

This is now the second time I've had a problem with water in the carbs (I'm assuming). This last time, I got caught in the rain. I only had to ride about 5 miles, but I hit a puddle with maybe 4-5 inches of standing water. Rode through with no trouble, but got maybe another 2 miles. The bike sputtered and eventually died. Since then, no luck starting at all.

Can anyone help me with the steps to diagnose the problem (i.e. spark plugs or carbs), and figure out why this would be happening ($350 to clean carbs is a lot for me). I've had a couple bikes in the past, and riding in rain wasn't a problem. If it is water in the carbs, is there an alternative to removing them?

Any assistance, including removing the curse, will be appreciated.

wait..you paid $350 to CLEAN the carbs? You could have gotten a brand new, rebuilt set for that..(I know, not on topic, but wow).

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
      wait..you paid $350 to CLEAN the carbs? You could have gotten a brand new, rebuilt set for that..(I know, not on topic, but wow).
      I think that is the price he probably was quoted, he didn't state he paid that amount.
      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
      sigpic

Comment

It say crap in the tank..

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
          I think that is the price he probably was quoted, he didn't state he paid that amount.
          My reading/observational skills increase with coffee....time for cup #2.

Comment

If you only have a liquid (water) in the carbs you want out, then just drain the bowls. Each one has a screw on the bottom that you open and drain from.

How the water got in there would be the bigger concern. If your tank has not been flushed, do so NOW. Check to make sure the drain tube is working properly, and is not cracked/broken to allow water to flow into the tank as well.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I would also check the cap gasket - make sure it is there, in place and not cracked/broken - that would also allow rain to enter the tank. After draining the tank, get a can of dry gas, and add that to the fresh fuel - it will help get rid of any residual moisture in both the tank and carbs.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Check to make sure the drain tube is working properly, and is not cracked/broken to allow water to flow into the tank as well.

Krey
                Good one!
                Also check the airbox drain. Based on the history of the bike..
                The airbox has a tube about 3/8 in diameter with a plug at the end, the end should be around the bottom of the bike. (near the others but the swingarm) remove the plug, drain it and replace.

The drain Krey mentioned is at the fuel filler. It lets water (or over fill fuel) to drain rather than make it's way into the tank. That one might be pinched..

Comment

I would drain the bowls/tank first, then if that doesn't work it might be something electrical got wet.

As for the curse. You'll need to get a exorcist to cast out the PO's spirit. Honest to god I have had everyone of my bikes blessed by a Catholic priest.

Comment

It sounds more electrical than water in the carbs.

Comment

if you hit a puddle and the bike died its water in the electrical not the carbs

chances are the water drains are plugged in the spark plug holes and you have water in there and or the wires
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by manowar1313 View Post
                        As for the curse. You'll need to get a exorcist to cast out the PO's spirit. Honest to god I have had everyone of my bikes blessed by a Catholic priest.
                        I think i'll try that from now on.... it worked with golf clubs in the movie dogma...
                        -Giaco
                        '81 CM400C,
                        '99 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          if you hit a puddle and the bike died its water in the electrical not the carbs
                          I concur

Comment

Well, I must confess that, yes, I paid a dealer somewhere around $350 the first time. Now that I've seen your posts, I realize I got ripped off. I called another bike shop this time, and they told me $300. That's why I wanted to get the opinion of folks who don't make money off of this. I'm pretty mechanically inclined with cars, so I figure that, with some guidance, I can figure this out and fix it on my own.

Going to take everyone's advice in order, and I'll let you know what happens. I'm not religious, but maybe the bike is, so I'll try the priest as well.

Comment

less than $1 for a bottle of gas line de-icer or methol alcohol
                              If you are running ethanol blended fuel it draws moisture like crazy
                              I have bought a bottle on the road and its a lot easier than draining the carbs
                              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                              X