Valve Clearance question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Clearance question

Hey Guys,

Doing my first ever valve clearance adjustment on my 2001 750 and I'm finding that the clearances are actually too close..... This doesn't really make sense to me as I thought the extra bit of 'ping' I was hearing before I parked it for the winter would be due to too much clearance.

So I guess my question is do you guys find the valves have more or less clearance between adjustments?

80k and never change more then .001

its normal for them to be tighter as the valves and seats wear.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

one thing to keep in mind is that the engine must be in room temp. as in , dont start it for 24 hours.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

"its normal for them to be tighter as the valves and seats wear"
        That's a good catch hardlydangerous, but as your in there you would still correct the gap right.

Comment

Originally posted by Patch's View Post
          "its normal for them to be tighter as the valves and seats wear"
          That's a good catch hardlydangerous, but as your in there you would still correct the gap right.
          Yes, you don't want them to be tight.

Comment

Too tight will lead to valve "burning" as it could hold the valve slightly open during the combustion process.
            Better to err on the loose side of adjustment although perfect is obviously best.
            Too loose will beat up rocker arms and valve stems and not make the best power.

Comment

Working...
            X