X

exhaust leak after install please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust leak after install please help

ok so i've taken the header and exhaust off the bike. when reinstalling i put new gaskets and new bolts. Bike starts and runs normal at idle. But when i put into first and ride forward it is inconsistent. It will go normal then all the sudden lose all it's power and die. Ran perfect last summer...also i noticed that there is smoke coming from between the header and the cylinders...i torqued it down to 17 ft-lb....which is right? how else can i diagnose and fix the leak because i really think that is the problem....

Originally posted by xxsokol32xx View Post
    ok so i've taken the header and exhaust off the bike. when reinstalling i put new gaskets and new bolts. Bike starts and runs normal at idle. But when i put into first and ride forward it is inconsistent. It will go normal then all the sudden lose all it's power and die. Ran perfect last summer...also i noticed that there is smoke coming from between the header and the cylinders...i torqued it down to 17 ft-lb....which is right? how else can i diagnose and fix the leak because i really think that is the problem....

Can you hear a pulsing/sucking or poping "pugh" sound at the headers? If there is enough of a leak to cause running issues, it should be audible pretty clearly.

Even if you don't know what to lisent for, it should be a sound that isn't even on all 4.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

so i went to go check if i could hear that noise and like some sort of miracle...no leak...and so i took it and rode it around a little bit...and no problem....I didn't DO anything to fix it. Makes no sense...i have no idea what happened. I really hope it doesn't cause me problems later.

Comment

It doesn't sound like an exhaust problem to me. It would run with a major leak or even just headers.

Check the bowls and make sure they aren't gummed up from sitting.

Comment

Working...
        X