X

broken speedo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken speedo

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, found it while searching the web for a solution to my speedo problem. I bought my bike (2000 Katanna 750) last year from a guy at work. Its only flaw is a malfunctioning speedo. The tac and other gauges are working but the speedo is only intermittent at best. I spoke to the dealer and they tried to sell me a new speed sensor for 100 bucks with no explanation why other then it might be the issue. Is there any way to diagnose which part of this system is the culprit without just replacing parts?

it could be as simple as the sensor, but mine is doing the same thing, but my problem is the gear on the front sprocket broke so the sensor has nothing to read. you get a sensor off ebay for like $30 than paying 100 from the dealer.

Comment

True dat, but like $30 is a stretch, more like $45-$50 + shipping.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I was checking my repair manual that I got with the bike. Turns out they are for a few years before my bike. So naturally the cable diagrams are all wrong. I've ordered a new book so I should be able to see what you guys are talking about

Comment

Hi - first time poster. New to the forum. I have been reading for several days and didn't see my particular problem, so I hope this is the right place. I recently bought a 2000, gsx600FY, everything works fine except speedometer(analog) and odometer(digital). The digital odometer display works fine, it just just doesn't change. I replaced the speedo sensor that connects to the crank case cover. This did not help. I ohmed out the 3 wires that connect the sensor to the cluster and they are all reading an open. I don't know what else to do aside from replace the wiring harness. . . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

when i bought my post Kat it was missing the pulse wheel that goes on the shaft with the front sprocket. check that and make sure the bolt is tight.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all your posts. One more question. I'm missing what the manual refers to as the 'speed sensor rotor' (fig 1), but I'm having a hard time finding this part. Does this part have another, technical name, or is only sold as part of a larger piece or kit? I'm pretty sure it's one or some of these, (fig 2) but not sure which exactly.
              Attached Files

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuk...5#sch280233you need #21{control/brake] speedometer speed rotor
                Last edited by KAT TOY; 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                X