Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How to replace the oil filter and choke cable ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace the oil filter and choke cable ?

Hello. I have Suzuki Katana GSX750F year 2004. I want to replace the choke cable (because the old one is torn and doesn't work) and the oil. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Do you still have the old cable on the bike?

Comment

Dennis Kirk has the cable.

No offense, but if you're asking how to change the oil, maybe you shouldn't do it.
      If you think you can handle it then you really should get the manual.
      It really should be the third thing you buy.
      (#1 gear, #2 bike, #3 manual)

Changing the cable is harder than changing the oil really..

Comment

all i can say is wow. really oil changing isnt that hard. seriously its really not, if u can do it on a car u can do it on a bike.
        J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Yea i've changed the oil of my car many times but i wanted to ask if there is something different, specific or it's just the standard (remove filter, drain oil, put the new filter, put oil). About the Choke though i have no idea. And yea the old choke cable is still on the bike but it's torn so the choke doesn't work. When it gets cold there is no way i can start the bike without heating the carburetor.

Comment

Next time you want to translate from french, might wanna get it translated by someone who knows what they're talking about and not a free online translator, that's some BUTCHERED french.

Op- you don't know how to change your oil? Interesting.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Just forget about the oil change. I'll do it i guess there is nothing special about it. What about the choke cable ? I don't have manual. So any instructions, pictures , whatever will be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Next time you want to translate from french, might wanna get it translated by someone who knows what they're talking about and not a free online translator, that's some BUTCHERED french.

Op- you don't know how to change your oil? Interesting.

for one its not from a free translator, for 2 the saying comes from Batman Dark Asylum, Its on the walls of the riddlers cage. And before you start being an asshat, why dont you saying something like hey bro im not sure if thats spelled exactly correct.
                J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

I changed my choke cable 3 days ago. You remove the side fairings and the gas tank. Then remove the 2 screws at the choke/signal switch on the handlebars and slide the cable end out from the choke lever. The end at the carbs you get out by first pulling out a metal sleeve that is at the end of the cable from a notch (to give you slack) and then move the cable down and slide it towards the front of the bike to disengage the barrel at the end from the carb fastener. The fastener has a cut on the bottom so the cable can slide through (same way it is in the choke lever). Mark with tape where the cable travels above the valve covers, exit hole at the front and around the left forks. Lubricate the slide points on the choke slider at the carbs so they move freely. Attach the new cable at the carb end first, thread it through the tape marked points and reassemble at choke/signal switch (note the notch in the handlebars to orient the top of the switch cover). Check the action back and forth a few time to ensure it doesn't overpull and returns fully. Mine did not need any slack adjustment at all. Oil change is typical except for 2 things to watch out for. Make sure you can release the spin off oil filter (by tool or by hand) since it is hard to reach and also be careful when torqing the drain plug. The oil pan is aluminum and strips easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Dennis Kirk has the cable.

No offense, but if you're asking how to change the oil, maybe you shouldn't do it.
                    If you think you can handle it then you really should get the manual.
                    It really should be the third thing you buy.
                    (#1 gear, #2 bike, #3 manual)

Changing the cable is harder than changing the oil really..
                    actually the manual is crap on the oil change section. they dont tell you to remove the lower fearing. and they use a suzuki tool for snap on to a 1/2" ratchet to unscrew the oil filter. which is just ridiculus.

its a simple thing to do but so poorly explained that if someone has never done it they will get confused and think they need a special tool. while trying to find the damn thing without removing the fearing.

what you need to do is simple and nothing to be afraid of when youre going to change oil / oil filter.

before you do anything:

put a bunch of news papers under the bike. the more the merrier. ( both directly under the oil drain and under the oil filter.

1. remove lower fearing. 5 hex screws on each side.
                    2. turn on the bike and let it run for a few minutes to get the oil a bit warm.
                    3. 21mm socket to unscrew the bottomn oil drain bolt.( be careful oil might be warmer than you think ) ( you did remember to put a bucket or some kind of container that can hold about 3.7 litres of oil under the drain bolt right ? )
                    4. wait 15 minutes ( the exhaust pipes are now hot dont even think about touching anything near the oil filter.
                    5. unscrew the oil filter with your hands. use a cloth if it slips ( oil will pour out of the filter , nothing you can do about it other than to wipe it off later )
                    6. put some oil on the new oil filter o-ring with your fingers.
                    7. screw the new oil filter on.
                    8. tighten the oil drain screw again 23 NM if you got a torque wrench if you got that , if not just make it tight enough but not too tight.
                    9. wipe off any oil on the exhaiust / other places
                    10. unscrew the oil top up cover. 1 hex screw ( same as the fearing )
                    11. unscrew the oil top up bolt witn your hands.
                    12. put a funnel in the hole , pour jaso ma oil in til it reaches F on the oil level gauge ( while the bike is on the middle stand )
                    13. screw on the oil top up bolt
                    14. turn the engine on for 5 seconds ( no longer )
                    15. check the oil level gauge again , amazingly its gone down because now youve got oil in the oil filter and other places in the engine. pour oil again til F.
                    16. screw on the cover and the fearing.

done.
                    Last edited by mammut89; 03-19-2011, 03:45 AM.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by donkosme View Post
                      Just forget about the oil change. I'll do it i guess there is nothing special about it. What about the choke cable ? I don't have manual. So any instructions, pictures , whatever will be nice.

lol oil change 1. remove filter 2. put oil on new gasket of new filter and make sure the old gasket on the old filter is still on the old filter 3. pull oil pan bolt 4. make sure crush washer comes off with the bolt. if u dont have one get one. 5. put oil pan bolt back in. 6. refill oil

**Make sure bike is on center stand when doing oil or have someone sit on the bike so its straight up and down
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

THANKS guys ! ! ! I' ll try to do everything next week.

Comment

Working...
                        X