X

idling issue cleaning carbs questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idling issue cleaning carbs questions

i read the 101 and narrowed my problem down to the pilot jets are clogged, since the bike would run with the choke, and ran well if revved, but wouldnt hold idle for more than a few seconds without giving it throttle.

anyway, i decided to do a semi overhaul cleaning of the carbs, since its my first time actually working on carbs.

since the pilots and main jets are directly next to each other, i removed both.

the pilot jets were seated ALL the way down, like wouldnt get any tighter. is this normal? the guide said tighten them down to see how many turns.. i just counted the turns up to make sure i had some guideline..

i lost one of the rubber stoppers for the pilot jets , can i plug with silicone?

i also broke one of the nipples on the top. each carb has one and its covered with a plug...silicone it shut too?

You are confusing the pilot jets with the A/F screws I think.

They aren't the same thing.

Turns OUT tells you nothing useful. You must count turns IN on the A/F screws.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The guide doesn't say count the turns out on the pilot jets, it says count the turns out on the pilot (or a/f) SCREW. I wouldn't use silicone for a pilot jet plug. You can not just plug the nipple on the top with silicone. That where the manometer plugs in. You need a new diaphragm cover.

Comment

I think the rubber plugs he's talking about, are the ones in the pre carbs under the main jets... but no way to tell for sure
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Turns OUT tells you nothing useful. You must count turns IN on the A/F screws.
          I disagree. Tighten the screws until lightly seated, then you count the turns out. 2.5 turns out if optimal.
          The plugs he's talking about are the pilot jet plugs, on pre 98 carbs. I know exactly what he means.

Comment

Originally posted by napkinthief View Post
            i read the 101 and narrowed my problem down to the pilot jets are clogged, since the bike would run with the choke, and ran well if revved, but wouldnt hold idle for more than a few seconds without giving it throttle.

anyway, i decided to do a semi overhaul cleaning of the carbs, since its my first time actually working on carbs.

since the pilots and main jets are directly next to each other, i removed both.

the pilot jets were seated ALL the way down, like wouldnt get any tighter. is this normal? the guide said tighten them down to see how many turns.. i just counted the turns up to make sure i had some guideline..

i lost one of the rubber stoppers for the pilot jets , can i plug with silicone?

i also broke one of the nipples on the top. each carb has one and its covered with a plug...silicone it shut too?

The jets get seated all the way tight.

The A/F screws are adjustments that you seat and turn out 2.5 turns. These are not jets. They are external to the bowl, and many times covered by metal plugs you have to drill out.

Buy new rubber stoppers for the pilot jets. If you don't get it exactly right, or accidently partially stop up the cross over fuel feed... it will never run right and be a pain to get back apart to fix. They are not that expensive.

As for the cap, you need accees and use of that port for syncing the carbs. Fix the cap/replace the cap. But make sure you can use that port.

Overall, if you have not removed the A/F screws as part of your cleaning, it's not complete yet.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              I disagree. Tighten the screws until lightly seated, then you count the turns out. 2.5 turns out if optimal.
              Chris, you are assuming incorrectly.

If I get an unknown set of carbs, and start counting the number of turns out on the A/F screws, what does that tell you? Nothing.

The way I read the statement, is that he either counted the turns out on the A/F screws without first turning them all the way in, or he counted the turns out on the jets which provides no value.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

no im pretty sure its the pilot jet. it matches the pictures searched on google and in the clymer manual. they are long and tapered and set inside a tube with a rubber stopper.. correct me if im wrong..

very similar to these

Comment

you don't do anything counting for pilot jets. Screw them all the way in till tight.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

no im pretty sure its the pilot jet. it matches the pictures searched on google and in the clymer manual. they are long and tapered and set inside a tube with a rubber stopper.. correct me if im wrong..

very similar to these

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...utm_medium=cse

Those are pilot jets... they are seated tight.

Your confusing the "adjustment" part with something else. The pilot jets are not adjusted... just seated tight.

The Air/Fuel screws... NOT jets... are what is turned out to adjust the air/fuel ratio.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes, in that case you are correct Steve. Which is why I said tighten them until lightly seated and THEN count the turns out. If you just go counting the turns out from where they were, that's not going to do anything.

Comment

ok cool thanks..

so can i plug the missing rubber stopper with silicone or should i makeshift something out of a rubber hose? there is a hole in the stopped but only on one side..

Comment

What are you trying to plug up? Generally speaking that's a bad idea... to put silicon in something.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

ok cool thanks..

so can i plug the missing rubber stopper with silicone or should i makeshift something out of a rubber hose? there is a hole in the stopped but only on one side..

I would suggest replacing the rubber stopper... not using silicone.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

from the carbs 101

* Remove the pilot jets. They are seated down in the tubes where those pesky little rubber plugs came from, remember?!
                              (Sometimes these stick in place, so PUSH HARD when you first start to turn)

those pesky little rubber plugs, one went flying and i cant find it

Comment

Working...
                              X