X

Stuck Throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Throttle

Ok so I just bought an 03 Katana that was laid down at about 20mph and dropped in a garage by the previous owner. I was wondering if there was a way to correct this...I can not even roll onto the throttle..I got the bike running right over about 3 hrs. just need to fix the throttle. UPDATED
    Last edited by SFR1986; 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM.

try this

take apart the throttle assembly and see if it is something in that portion of the throttle. maybe the metal bends coming out of thew assembly are bent and not allowing the throttle to move. or maybe the handle bar is messed up and not allowing it to twist

Comment

Originally posted by montana.man View Post
      take apart the throttle assembly and see if it is something in that portion of the throttle. maybe the metal bends coming out of thew assembly are bent and not allowing the throttle to move. or maybe the handle bar is messed up and not allowing it to twist
      sounds like the way to start.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

IDK if this helps or not but the I pulled the fuel tank off and I can physically see the cables moving very slightly going to the carb. thoughts?

Comment

Or the cable is frayed and you will have to replace it. Make sure the grip isn't rashed up, it will cause it to bind as well.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            Or the cable is frayed and you will have to replace it. Make sure the grip isn't rashed up, it will cause it to bind as well.
            I may just replace the cable..it is only like 17 bucks...are you talking about the rubber part of the grip? or the actually throttle part?

Comment

Rubber grip but either one will cause a problem.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                Rubber grip but either one will cause a problem.
                how can the rubber grip affect it..sorry just learning about this stuff.

Comment

It can be pushed inward, up against the control pod causing no clearence to rotate freely. Happens on dirtbikes all the time.

Comment

weird...I will check that out..thanks

Comment

ok so I looked at the rubber grip and it is not jamming up the throttle control..I pulled the handlebar throttle assembly apart and removed the fuel tank...I did not find anything jamming in the handlebar assembly, and I can see the cables move coming out of the cover going to the throttle on the carb...could the carb throttle assembly be jammed? or binding in someway?

Comment

Pull the cables off, check the throttle assembly... check the cables individually... check the throttle grip without cables. All should move easily and freely.

If they all move easily and freely... then the most likely issue is a dual cable incorrectly adjusted issue... where they are too tight and binding against each other.

Remember, each cable should have just a little play in them, not tight. About 1/8" turns worth of play on the throttle.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I can see a little play down by the carb...could that be gummed up..the bike was sitting for a year...i will pull the cables off the throttle control on the bar and see if that moves...I am open to any suggestions at this point i just wanna ride.

Comment

Originally posted by SFR1986 View Post
                            ...I am open to any suggestions at this point i just wanna ride.

Follow the advice I gave and you will know the issue..

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I hate to be an *** but a sticky throttle is gravy to fix, find binding part....lubricate or replace. Tear it apart to see how it works and smoke a cig and think a few. It's a simple mechanism . The throttle tube, cables and throttle on the carb itself. Take the cables off.
                              Does the throttle tube on the handle bar move freely?
                              Does the throttle on the carbs move freely?
                              Are the cables sticky and binding?

Comment

Working...
                              X