X

Short in the Wheel Lock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short in the Wheel Lock

I posted about my issues with my bike not starting a week or so ago, and I am very grateful for all the help these forums have provided. Due to inclement weather I wasn't able to take a look at my bike until yesterday, and I had quite a bit of fun taking apart what little of the bike I knew I could put back together

Summary: My Katana 600 has a short that causes the 25A main fuse to blow when the bike has been parked.

Well after taping up a lot of loose wires, and areas with limited insulation I figured I may have fixed the problem, and I let the bike sit overnight. This morning everything still worked perfectly so I took it for a quick jaunt around the block this afternoon. When I got back I learned that my problem was solved, however I did discover the problem area. The same fuse blew, when I cranked my handlebars to the left before locking them. As you probably all know there is a distinctive "clunking" feeling when you hit the point where the handlebars can lock, right when that happened the headlight went out.

My question is: Are there any electrical systems, that could be causing this failure? For instance I know I can't turn my key to the lock position until the handlebars have gone a set distance over, maybe it is that metal contact that is causing my issue. Or, possibly it is just the front spokes touch something they shouldn't be? I will hopefully have time to look at it later this week, but any added advice would be helpful
    -Thank you all so much for your help with this.

I think... Your headlight harness, or turn signal/horn wires are routed in a manner that they are getting pinched between the frame and lower triple tree. Should be a simple fix.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I think... Your headlight harness, or turn signal/horn wires are routed in a manner that they are getting pinched between the frame and lower triple tree. Should be a simple fix.

Krey
      that's where i would start.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Sounds light you need to adjust the steering bearings if it clunks or flops to the side. there should be 4+ lbs resistance there
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
          89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Working...
          X