X

93 600 Kat Oil Change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 600 Kat Oil Change

So im wondering on my Kat i just picked up how i am supposed to change the oil filter considering it has the 4-1 header going to single exhaust? Am i really going to have to unbolt the header every time i change the filter?

1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Depending on the header, you may be able to snake the filter out of there. My 750 had a GSXR 4-1 header and it was a trick getting the filter out but it could be done. Try either a pair of filter pliers or one of those doohickies that goes on the end of the filter and you turn with a ratchet fron the end to break it loose. Once it's off the engine you may have to get creative but expect to have to de-grease the pipes when you're done.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My 600 has 4-1 headers like that and it turned out there was just enough space to get the filter out without removing them

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
        My 600 has 4-1 headers like that and it turned out there was just enough space to get the filter out without removing them
        Agreed. I had the 4-1 Yosh on my 600 and I was able to get the filter out. I took the liberty of putting plastic on the headers to protect them from any loose oil and it worked out well. I moved to using the K&N Gold filters because of that wonderful socket attachment on the end of them. Made oil changes a breeze.
        Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
          I moved to using the K&N Gold filters because of that wonderful socket attachment on the end of them. Made oil changes a breeze.
          I did that too; works very well! When I got the bike there was an old Fram filter on it and without even trying to take it off, I went out and bought one of those claw wrench things to get it off. Took the claw thing out of the packaging and everything, only to find out that the existing filter was only on hand-tight! Plus, with the K&N filters, I won't ever need the claw thing again... >.<

Comment

I just put tinfoil over the headers and make a cone at the bottom to flow the oil to my drain pan. Don't forget to put the tinfoil back in the house, or wifey gets ****y.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Alright, thanks guys. ill just have to recruit my younger brother to get the filter off as i cant fit my fat hands in there.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                I just put tinfoil over the headers and make a cone at the bottom to flow the oil to my drain pan. Don't forget to put the tinfoil back in the house, or wifey gets ****y.
                Good tip! Both of them actually...
                1989 Katana GSX750F
                1995 CB250 Nighthawk
                2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                  And when you're done it serves as a hat to keep the aliens from controlling you!
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    And when you're done it serves as a hat to keep the aliens from controlling you!
                    Ha ha, yea and its all lubed up to fit.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X