X

Carb Problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Problem?

I am sure that these are the most popular threads on the forum!! I am new to CV carbs AND Kats so I need help. First of I have just picked up a 91 1100 Kat. I got it home and got it to start....Yeah Me!!! here is where I am not sure where to go first. There is a hose that is behind the battery, Some sort of vent? I put me finger over it pressure builds up. Anyway there is gas blowing out of this hose. I assume that there is a stuck float somewhere. Except that the bike idles fine and revs nice. Am I on the right track or is there something else I should be looking at?

So after messing with it for a while I have figured out that the fluid coming out is a mixture of gas and oil. Not sure where I should go next. It looks as though there was a cylinder wash issue. But the PO didn't say anything about it. I know I need to get that nasty oil out of there. But that won't solve my issue of the fluid coming out of that hose. I need help with this. I am sure some one here has at least some knowledge on what to do.

Comment

a picture would be helpful

usually there is a fuel tank vent ,battery vent and air box vent

my 04 750 has a air box vent that comes out by the center stand but its plugged , pull the plug and a little oiley sludge will drain
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by calired67 View Post
        So after messing with it for a while I have figured out that the fluid coming out is a mixture of gas and oil. Not sure where I should go next. It looks as though there was a cylinder wash issue. But the PO didn't say anything about it. I know I need to get that nasty oil out of there. But that won't solve my issue of the fluid coming out of that hose. I need help with this. I am sure some one here has at least some knowledge on what to do.

You are definitely on the right track. Sounds like it's puking the nasty oil/gas mixture out of that vent. Stuck float or the needle seat might be bad, there's also float o-rings. When you pull them off and have everything cleaned, before you re-install.......
        Flip the carb bodies upside down so the floats will be "seated". Try to blow air through the fuel hoses, if any air passes you still have a problem. If it doesn't and you still find you are getting fuel in the oil your float heights are off.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

a picture would be helpful

usually there is a fuel tank vent ,battery vent and air box vent

my 04 750 has a air box vent that comes out by the center stand but its plugged , pull the plug and a little oiley sludge will drain

The tube I am talking about is the one that would go to the airbox if there was one. But the bike has after market Vance and Hines air cleaners.

Comment

How much stuff is coming out of the tube? If it's not much then I'd say get a longer hose so you can route all that sludge away from the engine.

Of course, the best bet is probably going to be to put the stock airbox/filter back on. These Kats tend to run much better with the more restrictive intake. The 1100 isn't as sensitive to this as the 600/750 engines but it does make a difference. It also gives the fumes a place to go where they get burned off instead of congealing and dribbling all over.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              How much stuff is coming out of the tube? If it's not much then I'd say get a longer hose so you can route all that sludge away from the engine.

Of course, the best bet is probably going to be to put the stock airbox/filter back on. These Kats tend to run much better with the more restrictive intake. The 1100 isn't as sensitive to this as the 600/750 engines but it does make a difference. It also gives the fumes a place to go where they get burned off instead of congealing and dribbling all over.
              There is a lot of liquid coming out that tube, Not at idle but when I rev the engine. I am going to change the oil today. I think at some point there was a washout problem. Then try the magical seafoam. Then when.if that doesn't help. I will get the carbs off. the bike idles fine. and revs fine. I would think that a stuck float would show itself some way.

Comment

I'd spend some quality time with the carbs..........needles and seats, floats etc as suggested earlier.

Make sure the fuel petcock is functioning properly as well.

Comment

Second that. Give the oil a sniff and see if it smells like gas. If it does then you know your petcock is leaking AND the float needles aren't sealing. Result is the carbs flood and run over into the cylinders. Fuel seeps past the piston rings and into the oil galley. Worst case is a hydrolocked engine. Best case is what you've got, an oil galley overfilled with a fuel-oil mixture.

If the oil doesn't smell like fuel then it's possible it's just overfilled. That happens when you check the oil level with the bike on the sidestand, leaning to the left and away from the sight-glass. Drain the oil, replace with the right amount and presto.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

#4 spark plug wire

Turns out the no.4 sparkplug wire was off. That was causing the pressure in that hose. I changed the oil and the plugs. Put in fresh gas. And the thing is quicker than anything I have ever been on.

Comment

Originally posted by calired67 View Post
                      Turns out the no.4 sparkplug wire was off. That was causing the pressure in that hose. I changed the oil and the plugs. Put in fresh gas. And the thing is quicker than anything I have ever been on.
                      A dead cylinder SHOULDN'T cause crankcase pressure to build up, unless it had been that way for so long that tiny bit of fuel added up. I would still keep an eye on it.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

There was alot of pressure coming out that tube yesterday. Absolutely none today. And I ride it for a while today. Yesterday all i did was let it warm up and it was blowing. There is no telling how long it was like that before I bought it. There was so much gas in the oil that is was flammable but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Comment

Definitely watch it because that still sounds like it could be a float or needle/seat problem. Or too low of a float height.

Comment

Working...
                          X