X

BROKEN POS lol

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BROKEN POS lol

ok last time i rode my bike 2 months ago was running like shyt the problem was that orings in the number 1 and 4 carbs werent sealing so they were flooding with gas. when i parked it i took off the carbs rebuilt them they are completely fine now. when i put them back in and tried to start it it started to turn over normally then mid start before it fully cranked the sound just changed no clank or anything. it went from the normal loaded sound of turning over to like a free turn like no resistence. it will not start now. im going to do a compression check tomorrow and a valve adjustment. i changed the spark plugs today cause last time it ran being flooded with gas i kno they were flouled out. and i checked they do have spark. does anyone have any ideas on what happened or what could b wrong?

Starter ??
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Yeah, I'd go starter first. If it were me, I'd check compression and if I got nothing, I'd pull either the timing rotor cover, or the valve cover, and give her a crank to see if it's turning the motor when you hit the starter. I never messed with the kat's starter much, but I know on cars they have a centrifugal clutch that engages when you hit the starter, and then disengages when the engine starts or you let go of the key. It keeps the engine from turning the starter and prevents damage to the starter. That clutch dies eventually and the starter will free wheel.

It's something to start looking at anyway.
      "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

that was a thought i was having i wanted to see if other people thought so. any other ideas to try before i get into it is greatly appreciated

Comment

Hit the starter with a hammer. On my old VW bug that would unstick it sometimes and it'd start working again.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

progress report before i dig deeper. the starter works just fine after pulling off the signal generator cover and the valve cover [after being stupid and dumpin out a quart of oil] im waiting on my buddy to bring me a feeler quage and a compression tester but i unscrewed the spark plugs but still left them in the holes and it has enough compression on each cylinder to pop out the plugs outta the hole. any thoughts

Comment

Can you smell raw gas from the exhaust after cranking the engine? Maybe the coils aren't firing the spark plugs??
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Starter clutch?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                  Starter ??

'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
                  ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
                  ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by poscarguy View Post
                    progress report before i dig deeper. the starter works just fine after pulling off the signal generator cover and the valve cover [after being stupid and dumpin out a quart of oil] im waiting on my buddy to bring me a feeler quage and a compression tester but i unscrewed the spark plugs but still left them in the holes and it has enough compression on each cylinder to pop out the plugs outta the hole. any thoughts
                    I use a penny to do the same thing. On a car you can usually put your finger on the penny to hold it in place. If it blows it out from under your finger (or the penny hits you in the face) compression is fine. Like my grandpa always said, "fuel, spark, and a suckfest is as good as fire." ... In other words, you need those three basics. He also called the first pop a stuck bolt makes a wink, and told me "if it winks, it'll screw... just like a woman."

Anyways, if the timing rotor was spinning (which is directly bolted to crankshaft) then the starter is engaging properly. So on the fuel, compression, spark.

You should get 10-12VDC across the primary coils on the ignition when the key is on. Then I personally put a shot of carb cleaner in each throttle body (like as short a shot as you can make it) and then fire it. If she coughs and spits black smoke then the spark is good. Some say not to do that. So take it or leave it.

Shooting the spark plugs out of the holes is a good sign for compression.

Then make sure you're not flooding or way too lean. Or getting gas at all.

After that you're in the same boat I'm in. A mechanic couldn't figure my problem out. Hope that's not what you run into. It sucks.
                    "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Working...
                    X