X

Haste makes waste

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haste makes waste

Quick back story. A week ago we got a break in the rain, so after work, I fired up the bike and went for a ride. About 30 miles or so. Put some fresh gas in the tank and had it back in the garage before dark. Five days later, I go into the garage for something, and find a large smell of gas. I go straight to my bike, and sure enough, there is a puddle of gas underneath. Not good.

It appears that I left the fuel valve in the prime position when I parked the bike. I don't even remember using the prime when I started the bike, I seldom use it. I run the bike so often I usually don't need to. Anyway, it was definitely in the prime position. And after some searching on this forum, I determined, my crank case was full of fuel.

Now, I have drained all the oil, flushed the crank case with a quart of good oil, changed the oil filter, pulled the plugs, dried out the cylinders, drained all the fuel from the carbs, and put everything back together.

The bike starts and runs, but not right. It idles rough, and cuts out around 4000 rpm. I didn't do anything mechanically to change anything, so it must be something caused by my fuel valve issue. Has anyone pulled a stupid move like this before, and what do I need to do to get this thing running like it was? Help please, the weather is depressing enough, a sick Kat is the last thing I want.

Oh yeah, in case it makes a difference, it's a 2000 Katana 750

Thanks

You may have fouled your plugs..... I'd say pull them out.....clean them....put them back in.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

How's your air filter look? Did it flood into there, too?
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yes, it flooded there too. I pulled it and blew it out with the air compressor, it was pretty dry when I put it back in.

Comment

Ummmmmm.....pulled the plugs yet?
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

my guess is the carbs need to be cleaned

It should never have flooded even if it was left on prime as long as the carb floats where working right

A new set of plugs ,half a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment in the tank and a good run might be enough and IMO I would try first before tearing apart the carbs
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Plugs are new, like 200 miles ago. It did smoke a bit when I started it, could have fouled one, I suppose.

Comment

+1 on the carb cleaning, if your carbs were clean this never would have happened anyways. Perhaps the little piece of gunk that was holding open your float needle dislodged and got itself stuck in one of your main jets?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnjonsdaddy View Post
                  Plugs are new, like 200 miles ago. It did smoke a bit when I started it, could have fouled one, I suppose.
                  any spark plug rep would tell you once a plug has been flooded or fouled its trash and you can not clean them

a couple years back we got hit with some really cold weather here
                  Tempo cars would flood in a heart beat if they were not tuned up prior to the cold snap
                  Mechanics tried burning the plugs clean with oxy/acetalene torches because every brand of spark plug sold out for the car
                  It didnt work

keep an eye on your oil , that its not still get gas in it
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                  X