X

wont rev past 5500 plz help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont rev past 5500 plz help

ok guys a got pretty lame irritating problem here, my carbs were completely gone through around a year and 6 months ago along with a valve adjustment, new plugs and (stock)air filter. my bike was running perfectly well on the way to work today but on the way home it wouldn't rev past 5500 rpm in any gear seems like its misfiring. it runs perfectly fine below 5500. in neutral it wont rev past 8 then dies. im leaning toward and ignition prob what do you guys think?

Check the plugs first, that will tell you if it's a fuel or ignition problem.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

If you don't learn anything from looking at the plugs, try a compression check. Hate to be a downer but mine started doing that a while back and it turned out to be a bent valve stem/broken valve guide. Both were caused by one of the tappet adjuster lock nuts working loose, the screw backing out, the spring keeper coming off and the valve hitting the piston crown. Hello rebuilt head! Hopefully yours is just a matter of a bad spark plug cable or something. Let us know what the plugs tell you.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

check also for a restriction in the air box. had a buddy suck a bag up from under his seat.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
          check also for a restriction in the air box. had a buddy suck a bag up from under his seat.
          wow i completely forgot i put my jacket liner under my seat after i got to work!!!!! it cloged the air inlet and made the bike run super rich. omg thanks kat toy... im and idiot hahahah

Comment

Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

That's a whole lot better than it could have been! Glad it turned out to be nothing.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

A $0.00 repair, gotta love em.

Comment

Haha I was hoping for a juicy troubleshooting thread but this is so much better XD Nice

Comment

Originally posted by vpower102 View Post
                    wow i completely forgot i put my jacket liner under my seat after i got to work!!!!! it cloged the air inlet and made the bike run super rich. omg thanks kat toy... im and idiot hahahah

oh dear....

............................................______ __
                    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
                    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
                    .........................,/...............................................":,
                    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
                    .................../.................................................. .........,}
                    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
                    .............../.................................................. .,:"........./
                    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
                    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
                    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
                    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
                    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
                    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`..... }............../
                    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
                    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
                    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
                    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
                    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
                    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
                    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
                    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
                    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
                    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

that sucks

Comment

I always say, check the gas tank first! Can't tell you how many times I worked on a bike and it turns to be something simple.

Comment

This thread made me laugh, but cool that it turned out to be a free repair.
                          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by brian t View Post
                            that sucks
                            literally

Comment

Working...
                            X