X

fuel filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel filter

on my 95 600 is there a screen or screw in type filter on the petcock. i know there is no inline filter but not sure about in the tank.

the petcock has a screen filter on it but i also put an inline fuel filter on mine for extra backup. it only cost 1.50. Small rust particles and other dirt will get thru the petcock fuel filter.

the white top part is the filter

sigpic
    If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

reminder, use a Suzuki filter to ensure proper fuel flow from the gravity feed tank.

various members on here have used generic clear auto filters from the Vatozone parts aisle, and suffered issues with proper fuel feed.

cars have fuel pumps, either electric or mechanical, the kat does not, so do NOT put auto fuel filters (of any kind) on the Kat.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
          the petcock has a screen filter on it but i also put an inline fuel filter on mine for extra backup. it only cost 1.50. Small rust particles and other dirt will get thru the petcock fuel filter.
          No filter will take out rust . I ran some generic paper element fuel filters and my carbs still clogged with rust.

Comment

mine has a screen and magnet in it for rust and metal particles
            sigpic
            If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
              mine has a screen and magnet in it for rust and metal particles

So does mine on my gv1200, and I have never had to open the carbs on a 25 year old bike. Cheaper filters do clog up a carb tho. IMO its best to get a good quality inline one and forget about it.

Comment

Or just coat your tank and never have to worry about it...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Or just coat your tank and never have to worry about it...
                  +1!
                  "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                  2004 marauder 800

Comment

The pre-98 bikes don't have a fuel filter other than the petcock screen. Trying to fit one on the short line going to the left two carbs without kinking the line would be quite a trick. Maybe if you found a filter with a right-angle outlet...

In any case, because the fuel is gravity-fed you'd have to have such a free-flowing filter that it probably wouldn't catch much that the petcock screen doesn't already catch. What generally clogs your carbs isn't from running dirty fuel through them, it's dried up fuel from not running the engine.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by swapdip View Post
                      So does mine on my gv1200, and I have never had to open the carbs on a 25 year old bike. Cheaper filters do clog up a carb tho. IMO its best to get a good quality inline one and forget about it.
                      I have to ask- where was the filter on your gv1200? I had one and couldn't find (and I even had the factory manual!).

Comment

Working...
                      X