X

Kat won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat won't start

Not real sure where to go with this, I bought this bike not too long ago and the carbs were all gunked up, so I did a rebuild and clean of all the carbs and I've been riding it for over a month now. Today I took a 45 min ride to pick a friend up for lunch and then a 45 min ride home... on the way home it was idling a little higher than normal. It usually idles just over 1k but it was idling around 2, sometimes back down to 1. It wasn't running unusually hot or anything, but once I got home I turned it off and it hasn't started since. I checked the battery and it's sitting at 12.7 volts. When I hit the ignition switch it doesn't do anything, as if the kill switch was off. Are there any sensors that typically go out on an 02 Kat that I don't know of? Anyone have any suggestions?

have power at the start relay??.. fuse perhaps?...
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I had something similar happen on my pre one time i washed under the seat and theres a connection running off of the battery that got wet or dirty or something but i cleaned it and hooked it back up and it started right up,I dont know if that will help but you could start checking some fuses and connections....Another thing ive seen happen is i put oversized grips on my bike and my clutch safety switch wasnt working because i couldnt pull my clutch all the way back in order to disengage it...so the bike would turn on it just wouldnt even try to turn over,it was like my battery was dead or something.
      Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

Sounds like what mine did. It's still torn apart in my garage months later. Had a mechanic look at it and he's at a loss too... I finally got the starter working again with good spark, she just won't catch.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll figure yours out though. Like Jim said start checking the main fuse and such. The list of what can cause that isn't very long. The engine kill switch (wrong position), the main fuse, the side stand switch depending on the year/hacks that have been done, the clutch/neutral sensors, the engine kill switch (broken), the actual starter button, faulty ignition switch, and faulty wiring. Probably in that order.
        "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Originally posted by downrangefuture View Post
          Sounds like what mine did. It's still torn apart in my garage months later. Had a mechanic look at it and he's at a loss too... I finally got the starter working again with good spark, she just won't catch.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll figure yours out though. Like Jim said start checking the main fuse and such. The list of what can cause that isn't very long. The engine kill switch (wrong position), the main fuse, the side stand switch depending on the year/hacks that have been done, the clutch/neutral sensors, the engine kill switch (broken), the actual starter button, faulty ignition switch, and faulty wiring. Probably in that order.
          sounds like good advice.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
          X