X

'04 Katana 750 Clutch and Carb Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '04 Katana 750 Clutch and Carb Questions

As my first sportbike I just picked up an '04 Katana 750 for really cheap and it has a few bugs I need to work out but have no experience with Japanese bikes and could use a little help here.
    First when the bike is running (thats a big is) it seems to run fine. In gear it runs fine as long as I increase the throttle slowly. However if I give a quick increase in throttle the bike revs up hard similar to what would happen if a gear was missed. This happens in all gears. My guess on this one is that its time for a new clutch. Any ideas?
    Second one is this. When I bought the bike it had a short pipe on it that had the baffles knocked out of it. I asked the shop to put a quiet pipe on before I took it home. Theyu put on a stock pipe from a 650After I asked them to do it I started thinking that it would affect the bike tuning by increasing the bike pressure excessively. Sure enough I'm having trouble even starting the bike now and am getting backfiring while in the process of doing so. My question is where I should start in getting everything adjusted so the bike runs right with the stock pipe?
    Any thoughts, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Beau

Looks like you may have to go through the carbs and give 'em a good cleaning. Check the carbs101 sticky

Also, adjust your clutch to spec... if it still slips it's time for a new clutch ... oh, make sure the clutch cable is operating properly as well..
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Start with the carbs. pull and clean, then bench sync and put back on. I would get it to start and run first, THEN work the clutch over....
      '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

I would make sure that the starting issue IS caused by the used muffler as you seem to indicate.
        Simply unbolt / remove the muffler and mid-pipe. If your engine can be started, it may take some effort since it is probably fouled, then your problem is the muffler and not necessarily the carbs.

Comment

Working...
        X