X

Can someone help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help?

Hey everyone, so I have a '96 Katana 600 and for some reason (not sure why) whenever I go to turn it on, rev it a little, after that the bike just shuts down? Does anyone know why, I've seen it running before but since I don't have an endorsement until next week, I can't really ride it. So its been sitting for like 2 weeks or so. Any suggestions on what to look for? D: I'm new to bikes also so that might be a problem >_<

'96 Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Set the petcock to prime and crank the bike for 15 secs or so. Your carb float bowls are probably dry.
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

The petcock is that knob on the left side right? It was on RES, so I turned it to PRI hopefully that is what you mean xD lol.

Also is it bad to have it set on prime if its sitting?
      Last edited by Jaysushi; 12-18-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

OK, it was probably on RES (Reserve) for a reason. Try filling the tank.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah that was my next best option I had in mind.

Comment

Side stand switch???

Comment

Originally posted by Jaysushi View Post
              Yeah that was my next best option I had in mind.
              Toss a couple of gallons in there and see what you get. Entirely possible it's nothing more cosmic than being out of gas. (You'll still have a bit sloshing around in there after the pickup isn't reliable about supplying it anymore.)

Next thing to check for would be kinked fuel lines. If the PO replaced them with generic line it's real easy to leave them too long. If you do then they'll kink instead of making a nice, smooth bend.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hey kfreak what is the side stand switch? Also I am gonna fill it up and see how that works, if all fails I'll try to find a mechanic to take a look at it for me, see what I need to replace or work on.

Comment

There is a safety switch on your kick stand. If your stand is down and you try to pull away, the bike will shut off. If your stand is loose and drops very slightly, your bike will shut off. Mine is gone so the wires are tied together.

Comment

Oh okay, I'll have to take a look at it to see if its loose or what not.

Comment

Just make sure your bike is in neutral when you try to start it. It should run unless the switch is faulty.
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      sigpic

Comment

I make sure its in neutral of course, I'll have a mechanic take a look at it, see whats up with it :\

Comment

If you start it and it dies without touching the gear shifter then the switch should be fine. If when you put it in gear it dies then look at the side stand switch.
                          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                          ---
                          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Should be fine....only time my Kat has left me stranded was when the switch failed. Of course then it wouldn't even try to crank. Hit the starter button and nothing would happen.

I wasnt even thinking about that lol.
                            90 GSXR 750/1216
                            sigpic

Comment

How do I know where to find the side stand switch? I don't know where on the side stand its located at.

Comment

Working...
                              X