X

Engine Compression Issues.......??? :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Compression Issues.......??? :(

Was wondering how many other Kat riders out here ever had engine compression problems.

I just picked up two Kats.

One is a 1991 600.It has 13k miles.I was told it's been sitting about 10 years.I have the bike stripped down now(just a bare frame w/engine).The compression is:

Cyl. 1) 58 lbs.
    Cyl. 2) 140 lbs.
    Cyl. 3) 45 lbs.
    Cyl. 4) 70 lbs.

The next bike is my 1996 600.It has 26k miles,ran great,alot of power,etc.
    It's also stripped down now.The compression is:

Cyl. 1)150 lbs.
    Cyl. 2)150 lbs.
    Cyl. 3) 70 lbs.
    Cyl. 4) 140lbs.

So now what should I do????????????????????????

I'm an auto. tech. familiar with repairing cars/trucks.I've done head gaskets,rings,timing chains/belts before,but never on a bike.
    These bike motors are similar to car engines,but different in ways too.I don't have a service manual either.
    Are these fun to rebuild?I don't want to screw anything up.
    Are parts fairly inexpensive,easy to find/order?
    I'll probably need rings,head gaskets,etc.
    1996 Katana Gsxf 600
    1991 Katana Gsxf600(parts bike)

The first thing you need to do it find out where the compression loss is.Is it rings, head gasket or valve issues?A simple leak down test will solve this. The best thing about these bikes is that you can repair the entire top end without pulling the engine from the bike.

If you are an experience mechanic there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to pull the head and re-ring the bike in around 6 hours.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

After the leakdown test if you tear it down also check wrist pin condition, rod bearings, and mic the cylinders and make sure they're not egg shaped. Unlikely that's the culprit but it's good practice to check it while the engine is apart.
      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
      90 GSXR 750/1216
      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
      sigpic

Comment

check valve clearances. if ok check after adding a little oil to cyl.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Well,I just turned up the amperage on the battery charger from 15a to 225a and the compression is much better now(I'm using just a battery charger/starter,no battery in either bike).

1991 Kat

130 psi
          150 psi
          140 psi
          130 psi

1996 Kat

1996 Katana Gsxf 600

Comment

I'd still be worried about #3 on the 96 Kat.
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's wierd.
              1996 Katana Gsxf 600

Comment

Even the 91 seems a bit low. Id much rather see 175-190 on every cylinder.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Check valve clearances first, I bet the 93 has some tight azz valves on number 3.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

When i check the valve clearances,should the motor be at a specific location,or should i rotate,measure,rotate,measure,etc.
                    Am i looking for the largest gap between the valve and rocker arm?i have some feeler guages,just haven't done this before.
                    1996 Katana Gsxf 600

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      sigpic

Comment

You do know that checking the compression on a cold motor is telling you nothing.

Engine at operating temp with plugs removed and grounded, wide open throttle, crank motor over a few times.
                        Last edited by Kfreak; 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                          You do know that checking the compression on a cold motor is telling you nothing.

Engine at operating temp with plugs removed and grounded, wide open throttle, crank motor over a few times.
                          Not so true.. Doing it on a cold motor can still tell you a degree of differences between cylinders.
                          But yes, doing it on a hot engine with an open throttle will, on the starter for a few seconds, give an accurate reading.

Comment

if your second set of readings are accurate, I wouldn't bother tearing anything apart unless you absolutely feel a need to.

I would also bet that you had low readings on the one that was sitting for the last 10 years just because the rings were stuck. try spraying some wd-40 into the cylinders and let it sit over night. then start it up and let it run a bit...take it for a short spin even, then check compression again. if it's better and within specs, then just change your oil (cuz you have wd-40 in it now), then ride it it like you stole it.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'm not tearing either motor apart.I'm adjusting the valves on the '91 because they are out of spec. a little,then I'm just going to restore/rebuild it like it was new.All the parts are in great shape overall,very little to no wear on the cams or anything.

As far as I know,the '91 was wrecked 10 yrs. ago with 13k,and was parked.During the dis-assembly of this bike,I came across lots of bugs,ants,spiders,ear wigs through-out the whole bike and motor.A couple spark plug wells were full of water and debris.The engine itself had a few gallons of old gas/water/oil in it.
                              1996 Katana Gsxf 600

Comment

Working...
                              X