X

Which tyre pressure??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tyre pressure??

Just got the bike back from the shop after crashing it 3 weeks ago, i've just reset the tyre pressure to what is printed on the swing arm but decided to see what bridgestone suggest for my pressure setting and they suggest something very different to suzuki. which setting should we actually be using, i've always used what suzuki recommend but now this has thrown some doubt.

Any ideas?

Go with the tire manufacturers recommended settings.
    Last edited by jbo197; 12-13-2010, 06:36 AM.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Go with what the tire says, not the bike. Those are for the oem tires only
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I set my tires (tyres for you guys in the land of UK) to 3psi over the swing arm pressures.

...from the late great CP

Although Metzeler makes softer compound tires in this design (from the race track soft ME Z1 through the street-sport-touring ME Z4), the power and weight bias of the Katana doesn't really get served by any softer compounds than the ME Z4/Z6. What about the new ME 330/550 tires? Well, they might be good, but they are designed for a lighter weight bike than the Katana is when wet (fueled, oiled) and loaded with an adult rider & possible passenger: stick to the ME Z6. Also remember to keep the tire pressures up - a 200lb rider with gear should be running about 35 psi in front and 38 psi in rear (the Suzuki recommended tire pressures are based on the stock tire and a 140lb rider load!).
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
          I set my tires (tyres for you guys in the land of UK) to 3psi over the swing arm pressures.

...from the late great CP
          You need to be setting pressure based on the actual tire type and manufacturer's rec.

That is the only info that is correct, what the people who MADE the tire say. Not what it says on the swingarm.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'd try what the tire company recommends and take it from there. I got some different brand tires for my '06 and called up BFG. GM recommends 33/36 and to my surprise, BFG said that was too high, they rec 31 all around. He did some calculations and said that the much higher weight might be ok if I was carrying brinks in my trunk, but the higher pressure will cause rougher ride and lack of traction by virtue of decreased contact area. He said try31 all around, at most bump up to 32lbs. If I wanted to further explore it, find an empty parking lot, draw stripes with a crayon across the tread and check it after driving. This all sounded pretty sensible to me. I now run 31lbs and car is smoother and handles better.
            I contacted Avon about their radials and they recomended the same pressure as Suzuki. go figure.

Comment

always ask the mfg what they recommend.
              conti recommended about 38-40psi for the atacks depending on riding conditions. I run 38
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I asked a question similar on a thread and got no reply... This is some great info... I'm gonna have to spend some time looking into this some more.
                95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                ---
                I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

always go with suggested pressure by the tyre manufacturer. the swing arm sticker is for oem tires and is really geared around commuter riding and optimum tread life, not performance. also check if the tyre manufacturer suggested pressure measures cold or hot... that makes a huge difference as well.
                  sigpic
                  2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Well i've finally gotten round to changing the pressures to what bridgestone suggested, at 36psi front and 42 rear. wow it has transformed the bike, feels very planted from before, wish i'd done it sooner.

Comment

For the conti tires I found their website.

Our Goal: Healthy Mobility - clean, safe and connected. Our heart beats for this. Learn more about it on our homepage.

If you click on the fitment guide, and find the tires for your specific bike, and then the size you have, it will tell you the recommended pressure.

Example: I have conti attack tires on, stock sizes. So when I look it up, the manufacturer recommends for the 2000 katana 600 2,5 bar for rear and 2,3 bar for the front. ( in europe they don't use decimal points and the pressures are in bar) Convert bar to psi and you get roughly 36 psi rear and 33 psi front.. I usually run 40 rear and 37 in the front. So I will be lowering that a tad, closer to recommended pressures. Probably about 2 psi a piece.
                      Last edited by EEEMB; 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM.
                      sigpic

Ride the twisties!

2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                      X