X

gas in engine oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas in engine oil

my friend has a katana 600 carborated. about a month ago he was riding it and it just stalled going down the road and wouldnt start up. he hasnt rode it or started it sense then. but yesterday he decided to change the oil and it was full of gas. any ideas as to how it got in there? im thinking it must be a seal somewhere?

It sounds like the float height is off in the carbs allowing gas to flow into the engine more than is needed. Check the operation of the petcock and check the float height on the carbs, its more than likely an issue with both.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

i have the same problem, i realized the petcock was leaking but i still wanna check the float height, would this cause the engine to run like crap at idle

Comment

Originally posted by biggrobb762 View Post
        i have the same problem, i realized the petcock was leaking but i still wanna check the float height, would this cause the engine to run like crap at idle
        It could, it will more than likely cause a rich condition. Good idea to check your plugs also, they may be fouled.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chris_od View Post
            my friend has a katana 600 carborated. about a month ago he was riding it and it just stalled going down the road and wouldnt start up. he hasnt rode it or started it sense then. but yesterday he decided to change the oil and it was full of gas. any ideas as to how it got in there? im thinking it must be a seal somewhere?
            Tell your "friend" it's a good idea to change the oil two times when it gets gas in it, just a good warm up on the frist oil change.

Comment

okay he will and we will have to look into the carbs they need to be taken apart cleaned and synced anyway. probably a job for the professionals.

Comment

replace the float valves and also test the petcock operation on the tank
                the post carbs dont have overflows so if the float vales or floats are not set correct or leaking it will cause the engine to run too rich and could kill the plugs.
                Run real cheap oil for your first oil change, run it through with the old filter on there, then change it to good oil and new filter and your all set, but make sure you get the carb issues sorted out first
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-28-2010, 04:18 PM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by chris_od View Post
                  okay he will and we will have to look into the carbs they need to be taken apart cleaned and synced anyway. probably a job for the professionals.
                  Do the cleaning yourself. You will save $$$. It is easy. Just take all four out at once and take it apart and soak it in carb cleaner. Don't soak the rubber parts. Look at the carb 101 sticky. Take to get sync. im sure carb cleaning isn't cheap and you will do it again sometime. Better to learn now.

Comment

you can also get gas in the oil if your leave it on prime while its sitting

Comment

Originally posted by 04katrider View Post
                      you can also get gas in the oil if your leave it on prime while its sitting
                      but wouldn't correct float high stop it as soon as the bowl's filled?
                      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                      2004 marauder 800

Comment

Originally posted by mstngsrule68 View Post
                        but wouldn't correct float high stop it as soon as the bowl's filled?

A correct float height and a correctly functioning needle valve won't leak. A properly functioning carburetor can be left with prime on and it won't leak.
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Float valves. Check the plugs to narrow down to which cylinder.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            A correct float height and a correctly functioning needle valve won't leak. A properly functioning carburetor can be left with prime on and it won't leak.
                            i thought so.
                            "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                            2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                            X