No announcement yet.
X

Still can't get her to catch.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I shorted the neutral switch, it didn't seem to make a difference.

I looked at the instructions for doing the valves and all I'm missing is the feeler gauges and the threadlock. I figured it'd need a torque wrench and valve setters and all that. I guess I don't need anything to adjust the valves unless they're off for some reason.
    "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Can you clarify for me, The spark plugs do fire on time?

I would check the valves just for the heck of it. Mine were off pretty good and the bike wasn't firing well, if at all... Adjusted the valves, and that baby will fire up cold with no choke.

I'm just throwing stuff out to help you. Sorry if it's repetitive.
      Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

No, it's worth a shot. As far as I can tell, the timing isn't adjustable. And like the haynes manual says you could use a scope to tell when the plugs were firing, but as there aren't any timing marks on the timing rotor, it doesn't tell you anything useful. But coils are wired correctly, and the plugs work, so Haynes says that's all that's testable in the ignition system.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get to the valves. I got the feeler gauges I needed, but I don't have a 6mm "L" type allen wrench. I have from .5mm to 5mm in half mm increments, and then I have a set that has one, but it's one of the handheld things that has lots of straight wrenches and it won't fit. I figured buying or borrowing an "L" type was easier than taking the whole engine out.
        "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

So I checked the valves out. The cams looked a bit worn, but not way out of what you'd expect. All of the valve clearances were way off. Like most of the intakes were .30mm or more. The closest one was .224mm. So I set them all back to what they should be .125mm for the intake and .200mm for the exhaust.

Other than that, they looked fine. I haven't tried to crank it yet. It's raining and I didn't want to jump the bike in the rain. Especially since I can't ride it yet. No front brake lever.

Comment

I hope that was your problem... We shall see I guess. I hope it's not an electrical gremlin somewhere, those can be a pain.
            Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

Put the bike back together and got nothing. A few pops here and there, which was new, but it didn't sound like more than 1 or 2 random fires here and there. So I took it back apart to make sure I put it back together right, which I did. I triple checked the spark plugs. I pulled #1 to check for spark, good. Put it back in and pulled #3, good. Both were wet.

My mom said I had her blessing to trade the truck in for a bike, it used to be her truck. Can't really see a motorcycle dealership taking a truck in trade... I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anyone want a red '02 F-150 5.4L V8 XLT Supercrew with stepside bed? Trade in is $5800. Runs great, almost all highway miles.

Comment

Dang man... I hate to see someone give up on a project but I wouldn't know what else to check...

Comment

I don't either, by all accounts it should fire. But it won't even cough reliably on starting fluid. Not that we hit it all that much with it, it still kind of makes me nervous to use on a gas engine. I wish they still used propane in WD-40. It'd make me feel better about using something. A buddy suggested carb cleaner since it's mostly kerosene, but that wouldn't start it either. I've checked spark, compression, vacuum, and saw that the plugs were wet. Sometimes, if I crank it absolutely cold with the choke on it'll cough. But after 2-3 coughs it won't even do that again unless I leave for an hour or so.

But it has compression, vacuum, should be getting fuel, spark is good. Really, if there was anyway to adjust the timing i'd be looking at that. but timing isn't adjustable.

I hate to give up on her too, but idk what else to do. I'd say take it to a mechanic, but I've basically done that. My brother is one, he doesn't work on bikes but he owns a bike and does all that work himself. I don't know.

Seriously, the truck has a color matched bedliner I think I'm just going to put them both up on craigslist and go from there. If newkatbie hasn't sold his bike yet, I could go that route, or go with the GS500. Always wanted a bike and this was supposed to be my first, so this kind of sucks.

Comment

Obviously a fueling issue if you're soaking the plugs...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I can't remember if you put in new plugs or cleaned them. I myself have never had goof luck cleaning a fouled plug, I never trust it after that. To me it sounds like they are fouled. Just because you have spark on the outside of the motor doesn't mean you have strong spark inside.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Brand new ones. NGK iridium. Good battery and I jumped it just to be sure. I have an inline spark tester, one of those light things. Strong flash on it when the plug is in.

Idk.

Could be too rich. But I tried adjusting the A/F screws in half turns from 1 to 4. Float height is set to stock. I mean, I have to crank for a bit before they're wet. Even 30 seconds or so won't soak them. Even then they dry in a few seconds. Right now the screws are at 2.5 out and the floats are at 13mm.
                        Last edited by downrangefuture; 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I think the floats should be 14.5

low compression is a major cause of engines not starting
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I can try adjusting the floats to 14.5. I just put them at 13 cause that's what the manual said. I'm game for anything at this point.

I did actually use a gauge for vacuum, but since my gauge only does vacuum I used my grandpa's trick for compression. Put a penny over the spark plug hole and hold it there with your finger. If it blows the penny up off the block you should have enough compression. Not exactly scientific, but it's always served me well before. Idk, maybe payday I could get a compression gauge.

Comment

Working...
                            X