X

cleaned carbs now fuel leak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaned carbs now fuel leak?

I had a clogged pilot jet so i broke down the carbs and cleaned them. after i had re-installed them i put it on prime to fill the bowls and fuel started leaking after about 1 min. I put it on run and it slowed to a small drip. So i took the carbs off again replaced the o-rings on the main jet tube and inspected the float bowl o-rings which seemed good. I put the carbs on again but still the same problem. Leaks on prime and has a very very slow drip off looks like carb #1 ( the first one on the left when sitting on bike) All the floats seemed to be working properly and not getting stuck. Any ideas on what is causing this? Ive cleaned the carbs many times before and never had this issue. Its starting to drive me mad!
    sigpic
    If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Easy test to make sure the needle seats are sealing is to blow into the lines when you have the carbs off. Flip them upside down with all the fuel out and no air should pass, if it does it's leaking. If it doesn't next step ould be float heights or floats sticking.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

do u mean blow in the fuel line?
      sigpic

Comment

bench test
        set the carbs up on a bench, make sure they are level. Then hook up a fuel line and test bottle to the carbs. then see where the leaks are. if it leaks around the bowl replace the oring, if it comes out the overflow/drain pipe the floats are in need of cleaning or replacement
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

+1 ^
          "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
          2004 marauder 800

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            ... if it comes out the overflow/drain pipe the floats are in need of cleaning or replacement
            You mean the float needles. The floats, themselves don't have to be replaced unless they don't float anymore.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              You mean the float needles. The floats, themselves don't have to be replaced unless they don't float anymore.
              I typed that last night at 11:30 on my PS3, and was in a rush lol
              I meant floats and needles. if gunk is built up in the pivot pin it can cause the floats to hang up and bind, or if the needle or seat is dirty it can stop it from getting a good seal.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
                do u mean blow in the fuel line?

exactly
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Just a suggestion, maybe its the fuel line "T" (part #13673-44B00) My number 2 is leaking and I didn't know why because all my floats were in check and I just replaced everything since I just bought the bike, so I finally saw where it was coming from and just ordered this piece.

Comment

that happened to me when I cleaned my carbs, I thought we I had it on prime too long. I thought you are only supposed to have it on for 30ish seconds
                    sigpic
                    http://eternal-mc.com
                    http://eternalmc.freeforums.org

Comment

Yeah my orings were leaking and the fuel T... It was dripping from the #1 bowl area mostly...

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113671
                      Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        I typed that last night at 11:30 on my PS3, and was in a rush lol
                        I meant floats and needles. if gunk is built up in the pivot pin it can cause the floats to hang up and bind, or if the needle or seat is dirty it can stop it from getting a good seal.
                        Suuuuure you did!

Chalk one up to sleep deprivation...
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks all for your great responses. Guess ill tear her down again and take another look. Im thinking its the T's. Thats the only thing i didnt check last time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X