Spark Plug popped out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug popped out

Hello all...

I was riding my '05 600 the other day and it started missing pretty bad with a lot of vibration. I pulled over to take a peek and saw one of the spark plugs laying on the exhaust manifold. I'm going to tear into it tomorrow to see the damage, but I have one question: If there is no damage and the plug just backed out due to vibration, would putting some blue threadlocker on the sparkplug be a good idea to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance

No thread lock will cause problems later on, just torque properly.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The ceramic in the plug is fragile. So is the end, one tap and the gap will change. Make sure you at least check the gap.

Make sure you clean the threads well and don't use anything on them. The only thing I've ever put on spark plug threads is a little bit of anti-seize.

Comment

Quite often the plug will blow out with some / most / all the threads from the head. You may need to do what I had to do, repair the 10mm threads with an insert or bore out the head to accept 12mm plugs.

Comment

you can repair the threads using a Timesert.
          Some have used helicoils but a timesert is much better.

I have done it many times on the engine but be sure to grease the tap well and blow out any chips after cutting the seat BEFORE you remove the tap.

If the threads are damaged and I would be money they are, do not try to install the plug again, you could strip it completely and then you have a bigger problem stating the tap or you could even break the spark plug off.
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-03-2010, 10:40 AM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone...I'll be taking a look tomorrow. If the head looks damaged and can't be repaired with a heli-coil, etc. etc. etc., where's the best place to get a new head?

Comment

The head can always be repaired far cheaper then a new head
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Well finally got in there....the threads for the spark plug that popped out were just fine...turns out the PO had the same thing happen on another cylinder and they overtorqued that plug. The threads for that one were stripped when I pulled the plug out. Off to the shop she goes....hopefully they can do it without having to take the engine out. Thanks again to everyone for your advice...

Comment

you need to tighten it with 30nm if you want it 100% correct
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

in case anyone's curious...just got the bike back...2 time serts and a whole lotta cash later, she's running perfect. Never heard of a time sert though....any opinions?

Comment

did you not read my first post?

they are the best way to repair a stripped spark plug hole andthe only thing i'll use
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                      X