X

having trouble with bike running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having trouble with bike running

97 katana 750 13000 miles ok so i wnet through the whole carbs cleaning paying close ateention to every thing i could cleaned them twice made sure every jet tube and every thing is 100 percent i can start the bie very easy when it is cold runs good good idle and every thing when warm idles good for like 5 min then the bike will try to idle down and die on its own when it dies i can not restart it until i let it sit long enough to cool back down new plugs about 9 mnths ago and befor i put every thing back together i checked spark on plug against a ground had weak spark i cleaned up the contact point and got a decent spark i have tried to figured this out but am frustrated and at a lost now i need some suggestions please and thanks

i am having a similar problem. i believe the carbs are probably out of sync...or atleast thats what i am told. i had a freak mishap and lost ground to my coils then it came back??? i wonder if it could be heat related....... Its a real when there is a beautiful day to ride and your bike wants to stay home!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackedoutkatana750 View Post
      97 katana 750 13000 miles ok so i wnet through the whole carbs cleaning paying close ateention to every thing i could cleaned them twice made sure every jet tube and every thing is 100 percent i can start the bie very easy when it is cold runs good good idle and every thing when warm idles good for like 5 min then the bike will try to idle down and die on its own when it dies i can not restart it until i let it sit long enough to cool back down new plugs about 9 mnths ago and befor i put every thing back together i checked spark on plug against a ground had weak spark i cleaned up the contact point and got a decent spark i have tried to figured this out but am frustrated and at a lost now i need some suggestions please and thanks

You are running rich, fouling your plugs when it warms up. CHeck to make sure your float heights aren't set too high.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

ok so i got the bike to where it will start when hot but it backfires and and after a while it kinda bogges down and shuts off also i noticed the battery cable is getting very hot also when its hot it will start 4 or 5 times then it seems very diffacult to start

Comment

pulled the carbs again reset a/f screw and checked floats everything is good with the carbs and everything is clean looks new but still when the bike is warmed up will not start until cold again what else should i check some advice please

Comment

Take a picture of your spark plugs so we can see what they say. Could have nothing to do with it but a picture should be a great clue.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

oh ok bout two hours ago i changed them they where pretty bad the plug had alot of carbon build up with semi white tips when i changed them still same thing will not start when hot i went for a ride to see what would happen and after i rode about two miles it died i tried bump starting it in the gears and it would not start at all i did however hear a little click noise under the gas tank every 30 seconds or so like ist was comeng from the ignition coil for the spark plugs or some thing not sure if that could cause it what u think

also when it clicked it seem tp kinda like the engine wanted to try to die down
              Last edited by blackedoutkatana750; 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Check the oil level, and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. If it does, of it's over full... change the oil and filter.

Check the engine temp when it shuts off... There are several places that sell a laser tool to do this with that is in-expensive. It will also help tell you if there are major variances between the exhaust pipes, other clues that could help as well.

Did you check and confirm the float heights? What did you set them at?

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok the il level is just above the full mark and also is has just a small hint of gas smell not strong the float i measure at 5/8 of inch measured with carb upside down from bottom to the bottom of float with bottom cover off also i got it to start earlier while hot just one time but had to hold full throttle when it started i had to hold full throttle with choke on for like minute n half then turned choke of as oon as i turned choke off it imideitly ran normal and it ran fine at normal throttle just it off 4 times and imidietly restarted it started just fine first try the fifth time i let it sit for like 5 or 10 seconds befor restart and it would not start back up

Comment

Originally posted by blackedoutkatana750 View Post
                    ok the il level is just above the full mark and also is has just a small hint of gas smell not strong the float i measure at 5/8 of inch measured with carb upside down from bottom to the bottom of float with bottom cover off also i got it to start earlier while hot just one time but had to hold full throttle when it started i had to hold full throttle with choke on for like minute n half then turned choke of as oon as i turned choke off it imideitly ran normal and it ran fine at normal throttle just it off 4 times and imidietly restarted it started just fine first try the fifth time i let it sit for like 5 or 10 seconds befor restart and it would not start back up
                    Ypu need to be more precise on setting your floats, .5mm makes a HUGE difference. Use metric not standard. I know 14mm is close to 9/16 but you need those .5mm increments. I'm thinking this is a good start to solving your problem, float setting is like surgery, have to be precise.

Comment

ok just wanted to say i got it fixed to every one that helped thanks i changed the oil and filter there was gas in the oil also the floats were of by 1.mm fixed that now bike runs good and it starts up when hot and everything

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X