Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

clutch lever seems like its not working ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch lever seems like its not working ?

ok first real post just bought my katana when i pull in the clutch lever and try to shift into first its like im not pulling the lever at all just bangs down into first and stalls have tried adj cable to no avail ??? clutch gone ?? what should i be looking for

Mine did that when I didn't let it warm up long enough.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

This might sound kinda stupid, but is the kickstand down when you are doing this?
      -Noe-
      2000 Katana 750

Comment

i think i tried both kick stand down and up but for sure down at least once

Comment

Kickstand was mentioned because it has a safety kill switch... If the kickstand is down any at all, or the switch is bad... it will shut off the bike when you put it into gear.

Fix it... don't bypass it if your new to riding. It will save you in the long run.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

im not sure if it is a case of that working or not but when i hold the clutch in and shift in to first its like im not holding the lever at all bangs down into gear and stalls like i tried to shift into 1st with out trying to use the clutch lever at all not a sensor cut out

Comment

there is an adjustment at the pivot. it's behind the side cover. access is through a removable grommet. what happens if you start it in gear?
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

didnt think it would let me start in gear so haven't tried ill try

Comment

i would try starting it in 1st and see if it does the same thing

Comment

We need more info...
                    is it just when cold or all the time?

its normal for an abused or high mileage clutch (if it only does it when cold and the first time you put it into gear)

they have what is called a judder spring (most commonly used on cruisers) and its basically a wavy spring that goes between the clutch plates and when you disengage the clutch its supposed to force the clutch plates apart to prevent clutch lock up or clunking into gear when cold.
                    the problem is these judder springs are crap and pretty much useless after a few thousand miles with the engines/clutch heat on a sport bike. The down side to this set up is... one clutch friction plate must be more narrow then the rest to allow for the spring and this causes a weak liknk in the clutch system as the narrow clutch plate is usually always the first one to burn, glase and start slipping.

To solve the issue for free, warm up the bike but before you put it into get pull in the clutch lever and rap the throttle a few times. this is usually enough to free up the locked up clutch plates and will allow it to slip into gear with out lunging ahead or a gnarly CLUNK
                    If the clutch is actually locked up from sitting a long time, put the bike in gear and start it, holding the clutch lever in and holding the rear brake

FWIW I normally replace the clutch and leave the odd ball narrow plate and judder spring out and instead replace the odd plate with one like all the rest.
                    this is how 99% of dirtbikes and SS clutches are set up with out a retarded judder spring
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

the bike has been setting i just bought it it has done it to me the three times ive tried to put it in gear just slammed down into gear and shut off/stalled yes it was warm yes i have rapped the throttle up b4 i tried

Comment

Start the bike in gear with the rear brake held down
                        the clutch is just locked up then.

BTW be prepared to replace the clutch plates ( friction and metal) only damaged and worn/glazed clutches will lock up that bad.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I had this exact problem when I first got my 1997 Kat. The kick stand switch was the problem. The kick stand would not come up all the way, it would hit the exhaust pipe. Easing it up along the pipe depressed the plunger allowing it to start.

It does throw ya because it does sound like you do not have the lever pulled at all. It would grind and die.

1997 Katana 600
                          Sold
                          2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

The clutch plates can stick if it has sat for a while. I unstuck mine by starting the bike in first gear and letting it move, then dragging the front brake until it broke free (make sure you have a clear path in front of you).

Comment

ok so i fiddled with the kick stand switch and stand up works perfect guys thanks for the input i think im really gonna like it here

Comment

Working...
                              X