X

carb question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb question

hey guys,,,read and followed carbs 101 bought a carb sync kit needle and guage type,,,wish i had bought the motion pro model,,,also bought the color tune kit by bunson,,,took real extra care with the cleaning and basic settings before startup put in the stage one jet kit ,,because of the air filter and pipe,,,,warmed it up,,,reved real crisp,,,ahving a little trouble with the idle,,,,let the bike set a few days,,,it wont restart,,,fuel flow is good,,,,drained and checked the tank twice,,,,fuel pump diaghram seems to work good,,,i prime the engine spraying carb cleaner in the carbs,,,,starts fine the rest of the time as long as i start it once a day,,,,any help greatly appreciated,,im so ready to ride this thing after a year and half,,,,,,thanks kain

1. How old are your plugs?
    2. How's your battery?
    With everything else right I'll still have trouble starting if the battery's not in great shape. I just installed a float charger to keep the battery charged at 100%.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

if,,,,you,,,,,have,,,,,a,,,,,problem,,,,,,at,,,,,i dle,,,,,,it's,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,usually,,,,,,,dirty,,,,,,,pilot,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,jets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

in,,,,,,,the,,,,,,,,carbs
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Where did you find a "fuel pump" on your Kat?

Comment

I dunno, but apparently it uses protection.

In all seriousness,

It's probably a combination of fouled plugs and the emulsion tubes (not the pilot jets) need more cleaning. The easiest way is to soak them for a bit then run a .020 wire through the holes.

The holes in the jets are generally not an issue, the emulsion tubes need to be perfect. Even if you can spray fluid through them and see light through the holes, it's not good enough.

Comment

Before I make a wild suggestion...

What is the actual "problem" at idle?

Emulsion tubes have very little to do with the idle, unless they are stopped up enough to prevent fuel from flowing through the main jet, into the emulsion chamber, over to the pilot jet. If that was the case, you wouldn't get a good higher rpm run either... as there would be no misting for the primary circuit.

The transition hole for fuel to flow from the emulsion chamber to the pilot jets could be clogged, so that should be checked. If the entire body wasn't soaked well, and that hole didn't have close attention payed to it, that could be a problem.

Also, it's often mentioned on here NOT to soak the float assemblies, but that may leave the initial intake for the "choke" fuel enrichment jet clogged... making cold starts very hard. You are using the "choke" right? Make sure the intake and tubes on the float rails are very clean, and the "choke" down tube is also clean, or you won't get much fuel flow for those cold starts at all.

More details on the idle would help... generally if it's bouncy, it's an air leak (I won't say "vacuum" because that gets some people's panties in a wad) but... if the airbox is not properly installed, such as one of the tubes not being all the way on or tight... this can cause an issue with a bouncy idle, and hard to start motor due to too variable air flows for each of the carb bodies. Bad o-rings on the engine side of the carb boots can cause hard start and idle issues... again, air is leaking leaning out the mixture. Cold engines don't run well lean... but warm engines will.

Just some things to look at...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

carbs issues

hi...thanks for all the sugestions,,,,the carbs have been meticuously cleaned three times,,,but i will try and check the things your advising,,,the idle issue is when it warms up,,,the idle bounces around between 900 and 1200,,,i adjust the idle screw down,,,then it tries to die,,,i crank the screw back up very small increments,,,back and forth,,as far as the fuel \pump,,,on the petcock,,,there is a diaghpram that connects to the right side of the carb vacuum port,,,so im assuming it is a pump,,,when cold starting i use the choke,,,,the plugs are brand new ngk platinums,,,new orings in all the carbs,,,float levels checked and adjusted per factory pro tuning site,,,so im not sure whats going on,,,anyways i'll keep hamering,,,,if i cant get this soon,,,im gonna miss the riding season,,, been since last june when i started this rebuld,,,,,thanks guys

Comment

... if the airbox is not properly installed, such as one of the tubes not being all the way on or tight... this can cause an issue with a bouncy idle, and hard to start motor due to too variable air flows for each of the carb bodies. Bad o-rings on the engine side of the carb boots can cause hard start and idle issues... again, air is leaking leaning out the mixture. Cold engines don't run well lean... but warm engines will.

Just some things to look at...

Krey[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!

Comment

OK, so now you're saying the bike does start but doesn't idle well when cold? Bit different from not wanting to start.

Cugine brings a good point. Do posts have the oil drain tube on the bottom of the breather box? I haven't worked on a Kat yet that had that blocked off right.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by cugine View Post

LMAO!!!!
                    Guess I missed the joke?...

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    OK, so now you're saying the bike does start but doesn't idle well when cold? Bit different from not wanting to start.

Cugine brings a good point. Do posts have the oil drain tube on the bottom of the breather box? I haven't worked on a Kat yet that had that blocked off right.
                    Yes, both post and pre have the drain lines that should be plugged off in normal operation.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X