X

Replacing Clutch Plates

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Clutch Plates

I recently purchased a clutch plate set for my '06 Katana 750. I'm just wanting to know if this is a difficult replacement to do. If I can do it myself I'd much rather do that than paying to have it done, obviously. Can anyone give me some basic instructions on how to do this? I have a little bit of mechanical knowledge, so if it's not too complicated, I should be able to do it. Thank you for any help!

Did you still need help with this? I noticed your post was unanswered.
    Last edited by chrisgreer23; 10-08-2010, 06:18 PM.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

replaing the clutch is easy, especialy if you are mechanicly cline.

just rember to soak the fibers over night in fresh oil first.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye34428 View Post
        just rember to soak the fibers over night in fresh oil first.
        Excuse my technical incompetence, but why is this important?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
          Excuse my technical incompetence, but why is this important?
          It allows the friction plates to soak up oil
          I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
          -Unholy m-
          Current project: Un-Katchable
          sigpic

Comment

DO NOT overtighten the bolts on the clutch. They take almost no torque and they definitely will snap if you aren't careful. Other than that, it's not a difficult job.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
              It allows the friction plates to soak up oil

and when u start it up the first time they are not dry and burn.

Comment

I did get the plates in there. It's actually very easy to do; anyone can do it. Hell, I'd say it's more of an issue getting the fairing off than actually replacing the plates.

Comment

No need to soak them overnight, although it never hurts.
                  however they must be oiled well before installing them.
                  many kits for offroad use come pre-lubed for faster changing, however if you have a clean paint brush you can just wipe some synthetic oil on either side before you install the plate into the basket. its a lot less messy this way
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                  X