Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

91 katana cooling fan/fan controller issue!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do now..lol

well, fans installed already.....should i just leave it(so i dont have the empty hole for it showing nothing in the fairing) and just leave it disconnected?.....suppose to turn on after bike is off? after taking it for a ride?....as of now....fan hasnt came on.....then again, i wasnt trying or waiting for it to come on after the bike has ran...only ran bike for about 15 minutes at the most(its mostly apart, so havent taken it on the road yet)...trying to get fan to come on..and check charging system. but if this is true, does the bike need to reach a certian temperature before fan comes on, or does it do it automaticaly when bike is off....and if so..how long does it run for? sorry if too many questions...just trying to get my facts right =)

oh...and i checked the batt again, or charging system.....bike off...hooked meter back up to battery...read 12.60.....started bike....went to 11.35....stayed there for a sec...then gave it a lil throttle...still stayed...then it jumped to 13.55, then 14.10...then to 14.80 and fluctuated around 14.65 to 14.88 for a few minutes...then went to 13.70 and stayed around there for the rest of the test....mmm tempermental! lol
    Last edited by suzuki32953; 10-02-2010, 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki32953 View Post
      well, fans installed already.....should i just leave it(so i dont have the empty hole for it showing nothing in the fairing) and just leave it disconnected?.....suppose to turn on after bike is off? after taking it for a ride?....as of now....fan hasnt came on.....then again, i wasnt trying or waiting for it to come on after the bike has ran...only ran bike for about 15 minutes at the most(its mostly apart, so havent taken it on the road yet)...trying to get fan to come on..and check charging system. but if this is true, does the bike need to reach a certian temperature before fan comes on, or does it do it automaticaly when bike is off....and if so..how long does it run for? sorry if too many questions...just trying to get my facts right =)

oh...and i checked the batt again, or charging system.....bike off...hooked meter back up to battery...read 12.60.....started bike....went to 11.35....stayed there for a sec...then gave it a lil throttle...still stayed...then it jumped to 13.55, then 14.10...then to 14.80 and fluctuated around 14.65 to 14.88 for a few minutes...then went to 13.70 and stayed around there for the rest of the test....mmm tempermental! lol
      On the fan.... I don't have any concrete answers for you. I would guess that you would have to run it long enough to get hot, but I'm not positive how it is triggered so I'm not sure.

It's a little funky that your voltage didn't start climbing immediately after starting. I would start out by checking resistance in the lines to the alternator first and cleaning all the connections. If that doesn't remedy it, then maybe consider changing it if it gives you problems.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i found it to be a lil strange myself...im about to go tinker with it now, that its been sitting overnight...want to see what it reads on the meter now. this all started when the fan went out on the highway, bearings or internals arc'ing on or off each other, idk...but i was doing 80mph...lights flickered for a sec or two..then lost all power...and it wouldnt even attempt to turn back on to crank over...all i got when i turn the key was dim lights, and nothing when i tried to start it.....from what i figured is...fan motor went, made contact inside from being broken(it rattled when i removed it and shook it) and the fan controller relay...well, it was fried..100% charred...stunk like a burnt down house..lol got it out of the woods(where i ended up off the interstate)...got it home...removed fan...fan controller found replacements online, bought them...went to put them on and couldnt get fan to work ...bypassed it, used a negative only toggle(in case i wanted to ever use the fan) ...charged the batt. it starts..runs....and now im conversating on here with all you awseome people, ..just want it to be safe to take it back on the road =)

Comment

The fan off my 1100 is pretty nifty looking. WHen I de-california-ized it, I tossed it into a box.
          The fan might possibly be useful if you set it up with a thermoswitch to turn on when it gets real hot. I was thinking of conditions like stop and go driving when it is 100 degrees outside and the the fan would would suck air out of the faired area.My hope would be not to cool of the pipe but maybe lower the temps around the carbs a few degrees.
          Call it one of those ideas that I never got around to exploring.

Comment

oh....bikes all back together....not running the fan, but i installed a single stage toggle on the negative side....just in case i take a long ride, or get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic .....i tried to clean it up a bit, so its smokin at the headers(just fumes from the cleaners from ealrlier today) .....had to rewire the lights in the gauges...wires were messed up...good now, but keeps blowing the lil industrial bulbs i put in there...lol got them free at wrk, but they are for inside use...ill fix that in the morning. ...checked the voltage again, it was 12.45 while bike was off.... i let it run for about 15 minutes, started fine..well like usual anyway...voltage went to 13.55 and i went inside to eat....came back out a bit later to shut it down....voltage was at 14.60....went to 14.88 wen i gave it a lil throttle...then went down to 14.20 and stayed around there.... well thats my update so far... oh, oh,....mmm about the turn signals....are they suppose to be lit up when the bike is on? they arent, but they blink when i use them at the switch when turning.....

Comment

read my other post

its my update, didnt want to post it in 2 different places =)

Comment

Working...
              X