X

Stalling while idling + giving it gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling while idling + giving it gas

So what do you guys think the problem is? It doesn't always do it but it does it quite often and it's mighty annoying, especially if you're about to take off put it into first give it a tad throttle and bam it just turns off, or even if you just try to rev it up a bit idling..
    1993 GSX750 Katana

Is the bike properly warmed up when it does this?

Comment

When was...

Last valve check/adjust?
      Last carburetor sync?
      Last plug check?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramphex View Post
        http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7674/img0647.mp4

So what do you guys think the problem is? It doesn't always do it but it does it quite often and it's mighty annoying, especially if you're about to take off put it into first give it a tad throttle and bam it just turns off, or even if you just try to rev it up a bit idling..
        I really HOPE it's not this: but the last time I saw that symptom it was a shattered piston

Comment

I would think a broken piston would cause more severe symptoms than that...

I'm seeing a similar issue with a Gen1 SV650 right now. It's just a matter of flushing old, gummed up fuel from the throttle bodies and getting the sync and valves set right.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
            I would think a broken piston would cause more severe symptoms than that...
            You'd think that but no
            I thought it was a carb problem but was picking pieces of piston skirt out of the intake rubber when i took them off to look.

Comment

I won't deny the possibility...but considering the probability, I'm leaning toward your just being lucky (so to speak).

Comment

I won't deny the possibility...but considering the probability, I'm leaning toward your just being lucky (so to speak).
                Or unlucky..

I highly doubt that's what's happening here though. It's probably clogged jets that whenever the butterfly are opened, fill the engine with air and none of the fuel to ignite it.

Comment

Previous owner rebuilt carbs and had it tuned up and everything, then the bike sat in his garage for 1.5 years before I bought it. I ran some seafoam through the tank but other than that haven't done anything else since I just got the bike like a month ago. What do you guys think I should do to see if I can fix this issue?
                  1993 GSX750 Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Ramphex View Post
                    Previous owner rebuilt carbs and had it tuned up and everything, then the bike sat in his garage for 1.5 years before I bought it. I ran some seafoam through the tank but other than that haven't done anything else since I just got the bike like a month ago. What do you guys think I should do to see if I can fix this issue?
                    ...uhhhh, I would think 1.5 years of fuel and oil stuck to the innards of the carbs. Clean them.

Comment

...uhhhh, I would think 1.5 years of fuel and oil stuck to the innards of the carbs. Clean them.
                      +1
                      Dump the old petrol, clean the carbs out properly and change the oil and filter.

And Ramphex, I know your bike's not working but that's no reason to taint this forum with an EFG avatar...
                      Last edited by Wolfe_UK; 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Same issue right here. Cleaned and adjusted the carbs 3 times. Ended up being a bad coil when it got up to temp you would hear a TICK everytime it went to sputter.

Comment

The gas is brand new, second full tank of 93 octane. I'm thinking of changing the oil, filter and plugs and cleaning carbs, hopefully that'll solve the issues.
                          1993 GSX750 Katana

Comment

It needs a good carb cleaning
                            The passages for the pilot circuit and main circuits may be partly blocked.
                            remove the jets and soak them overnight in purple power or castrol super clean.
                            then go through the carbs with some carb cleaner and compressed air.

even after 6 months you can get a lot of fuel deposits built up in carbs with todays crap fuels
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                            X