X

2nd Gear Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gear Issue

I took the Kat out last night to the beach to run through the gears and it ran beautifully...except...I keep having a problem in 2nd gear.

I know that this is a notorious weak point in the Kats so I believe it's a transmission issue.

If I open the throttle 3/4 to WOT in 2nd I get slight hesitations in acceleration.

At first I thought one of the cylinders was misfiring but wouldn't this have an effect in all gears, not just 2nd?

I'm pretty new to riding and the best analogy I can make would be when you nail the throttle in a car and traction control keeps intermittenly cutting power.

As soon as I upshift to 3rd this stops so I've been shortshifting a lot.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    -1990 Suzuki Katana GSXF1100
    -2007 BMW 335xi (Retired )
    -2008 Audi S5
    -2010 Land Rover Range Rover

That doesn't sound like the normal second gear issues.

To check second gear, get rolling in second and chop on and off the throttle several times. If it stays in gear, it's probably ok. If it's skipping out under hard acceleration then it would be obvious by the engine revving up without the acceleration to match.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Er, I don't think the 1100 motors had the 2nd gear issue, but I've been wrong before.

Sounds more like carbs, or maybe clutch related issues.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've never heard of 1100's having a problem with second either. I think steves is on the right track.

Comment

Every motorcycle has the possibility to run into this problem, it's the nature of the design. Can be enhanced by casting procedures and design.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

post 98 kats had changes made to prevent this issue, just a note

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

The 1100 has a different trans. 5 speed with different gearing.

The 600, 750 pre and post kat is a 6 speed.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                That doesn't sound like the normal second gear issues.

To check second gear, get rolling in second and chop on and off the throttle several times. If it stays in gear, it's probably ok. If it's skipping out under hard acceleration then it would be obvious by the engine revving up without the acceleration to match.

Ok, ill try that once the rain stop and I can get out! I hate this weather!

Thanks for the trans. info guys.
                -1990 Suzuki Katana GSXF1100
                -2007 BMW 335xi (Retired )
                -2008 Audi S5
                -2010 Land Rover Range Rover

Comment

Working...
                X