X

Cam chain slack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain slack

I just replaced the cam chain tensioner spring on my '96. The old spring was pretty beat.When I put it all back together I noticed that there was a knocking sound at idle, I don't notice it at higher RPMs. I tore it all down again and rechecked everything I had done. I noticed that when I turn the engine over by hand (with the spark plugs removed) that the chain goes slack between the cams twice per rotation and then snaps tight again. Is this normal? This could be my noise since it sounds somewhat similar. Additional info, valves are all adjusted and within specs, motor has 21,000 miles. There is no metal in the oil, already checked in my quest to figure out the noise, so I don't think that it is a connecting rod bearing knock. I have already gone through a ton of threads that the search came up with, but haven't found anything directly referring to this. Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

My first question is did you install it correctly? There is a certain procedure for letting the spring set its own tension. I will see if I can find it....
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I followed the Haynes Manual and also cross referenced to info found on the site so I think I installed the tensioner correctly. I could hear it adjust out as I installed the spring and I do use a torque wrench on everything that has a setting provided.

Comment

Oh you answered before I found it but I'm gonna post it anyways since I looked it up
        And no it should keep tension continuously, unless you are rotating the engine backwards.
        Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by kevin2502000; 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
        X