X

bike is popping whenever driving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike is popping whenever driving

I have a 98 katana 600 with 25000 miles. When I got it, i pulled the carbs apart and completely cleaned them and resynced them. I also adjusted the valves.
    I put ngk iridium plugs in it, but had a slight problem with them. Cylinder 2 would fire sometimes and cylinder 1 wouldn't fire at all. I put standard ngks in it and now they all fire when they are supposed to.
    After I did all that, it ran great. Then a few days ago, it seems to be backfiring quite a bit. As I am driving down the road, it will pop out the exhaust. It will keep doing this. With the choke all the way on, it doesn't do it. If the choke is any less than 3/4, it pops like crazy. It is getting really annoying.
    I was told to richen one of the carbs up and resync them all to that one.
    Any suggestions? I am at a loss. I think it might have something to do with timing, but am not sure. Bikes are a bit harder to work on than cars.
    Please help me out, this is my only transportation till I get my truck back on the road.
    Thanks

It might be an after-fire caused by a lean condition.

What are your float levels and A/F screws set to?

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Was this misfire there before the carb work? My first guess would be something was missed in the carb cleaning.

Comment

my bike pops when i rev it in neutral of course i still dont have a can for it..... but i have the AF screws set at 3 turns out just because of that
        time to nut up or shut up
        Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
        The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

It ran great after I cleaned the carbs.
          I'm pretty sure it is running lean. Tomorrow I am going to check the carbs out and go from there.

Comment

So I ran into a bit of a problem with the bike starting when I went to bring it in the garage to check the carbs. It had no spark. So after a couple days and a bit of frastration, I changed the plugs and it started.
            So my a/f screws were all between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 so I changed them all to an even 3 turns. I got it all put back together and it started right up. Once it was warmed up, I hit the throttle a few times and it was hesitating to begin with. Thats running rich right?
            Also there is now a bit of smoke coming out the exhaust. More when I hit the throttle. It also pops slightly while sitting there running.
            Maybe I should put all the a/f screws at 2 3/4 and see what happens.

Comment

I would set the screws at 2.5 turns out and go from there.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That is where I had them before.

Comment

Ok, me and my buddy took some exhaust pipe temps after my ride home from work. There was a pretty big difference between the four. We checked it a couple inches down on the pipes fron the head. The readings from left to right were 162, 231, 293, 263. We are going to mess with the carbs and see what we can do.
                  Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                  X