just got a 93 zuzuki katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got a 93 zuzuki katana

HI,
    I just purchased a 93 suzuki katana and i have some problems with it.

when i start my bike it goes to high RPM's right away, the choke is Up (off), and when i try to give more throttle the RPM's go down and the bike shuts off

and another problem i have, i cant start my bike in the gear. when i put it in neutral it starts fine but as soon as i go to first it shuts off

i dont know wtf is wrong with the bike. can somebody help me?

Originally posted by MSP300 View Post
    HI,
    I just purchased a 93 suzuki katana and i have some problems with it.

when i start my bike it goes to high RPM's right away, the choke is Up (off), and when i try to give more throttle the RPM's go down and the bike shuts off

and another problem i have, i cant start my bike in the gear. when i put it in neutral it starts fine but as soon as i go to first it shuts off

i dont know wtf is wrong with the bike. can somebody help me?

as for the revving... probably a vac leak or idle is set too high?

and for it stalling in first... is your sidestand down? check the sidestand switch for fault if your stand it up when it stalls...

Comment

I agree. the sidestand has a sensor that wont allow you to put the bike in gear with it down. and it will shut the bike down. as for the revving im not sure lol. im having problems of my own being fixed with carb issues.

Comment

Yeah I found that out the other day going down a curb with my bike. It shut down I was like "WTF mate." I couldn't figure it out. Put in neutral started, 1st gear died. Then I put the stand down inspected nothing got back on started and drove fine. "Cool" I thought. Then I arrived home put the stand down in gear... it died, "LIGHT BULB". Put it up started down died. Nice to know I thought. So yeah Check the stand switch or stand.
        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

thanks guys

as far as carbs go, i dont think i have a problem with that cuz i had an engine swap, the new engine only have 1500 miles on it
          i will try to check for vac leak and idle tomorrow

Comment

Even though it only has 1500 miles on it, they may still need cleaned. How long did the engine sit before you swaped it?. It could be from sitting, or after a period of time, they just need cleaned.

Comment

and swaping a good engine into a bike with a rusty tank will wreck havoc on the carbs....check your choke cable, is it binding and holding the choke open even if you move the lever to close?

Comment

the engine been sitting for 6-7 years
                i checked my tank for rust and i didnt really see any

Comment

i would say cleaning the carbs would be a good place to start. if you spend hours searching these boards youll find that the majority of the members say that a good carb cleaning is a good place to start with most issues. BUT be sure to know what your doing and to be familiar with everything before you dig in otherwise youll end up in my spot with more issues than what you started with. even if you do everything by the books you could have something extra you need to do that you neglect to do and end up having the bike idle like heaven but run like complete crap lol. thats what mine ended up doing.

I was also told that with my bike having higher mileage (31k alot more than you) and being a 99 that a valve adjustment would be good as well as syncing the carbs and all the basic upkeep you need for the bike. I finally gave up doing my own maintenance now that i have bigger issues and have a guy from here working on it for me this weekend.

Comment

i think i might have start with carbs, cuz my bike didnt even start today

anybody know how to do it?
                    is it hard to do?

Comment

Carbs 101 -
                      A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

what did it do when you tried to start it? did it just keep turning over? did it sputter at all?

I also would recommend for a service manual. I got the hanes manual for the bike offline. you just have to do some looking around for it. but youll find it.

Comment

not steal but this syncing is it hard?

Comment

Syncing is pretty easy as long as you have the right tools. Also not too expensive to take it to a shop to be synced...about $40, or $100 for the tool, although I believe there is a DIY sync tool floating around on the boards somewhere.

Comment

i have found THIS awhile ago but never thought about doing. I was told that might explain my hesitation during take-off. It only happens then.

Comment

Originally posted by Unholy_m View Post
                              i have found THIS awhile ago but never thought about doing. I was told that might explain my hesitation during take-off. It only happens then.
                              Hey that looks like mine
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                              Black painted seat and rear trim,
                              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment