Can't Remove Jet Block from Carbs - need to soak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Remove Jet Block from Carbs - need to soak

Hello KR,

I've been doing a carb rebuild/tank de-rusting for a few weeks now (have been REALLY busy) on me 1989 750 Kat. After separating and pulling apart the carbs I found some issues that I'm sure weren't helping my bike any. A little stem/valve coming from the side of one of the carbs is broken off, and some PO had tried to JB Weld it back on once before. Also, one of the rubber fittings attaching the hoses to the carbs is torn. (Last 2 pictures) This stuff I can just replace...

But my REAL problem is my "jet block". I can't remove it. The book says to. I need to soak the carbs and don't think I should soak them with the jet block, and thus the main needle and o-ring beneath it too, still attached.

The book just says remove it - doesn't say how. I have pulled as hard as I can with my fingers without it even budging. I don't see any fittings or hardware keeping it in there. I don't wanna pry it out since its not on the fiche and I imagine I'll have to buy another carb to replace it.

I Pulled apart a couple of the carbs but the jet block on both were stuck. Oh and yes, the carbs are completely stripped down, no jets left in or anything. I can see clear through the main needle.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else had this problem? How can I remove the jet block? Can I soak the carbs with the jet block (and needle and o-ring) still in there?

Pics attached

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    1989 Katana GSX750F
    1995 CB250 Nighthawk
    2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

no do not soak the carbs with the oring still there you will ruin it and have to replace as for the block it looks like its the emulsion tubes that are blocked from the pics....... to get the emulsion tubes out you take a bowl screw and thread it were the main jet goes and tap with a hammer and it will come out
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

My jet block on my 2001 750 wouldn't even move so I didn't bother trying to force it.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

If the bowl screw trick doesn't work then soak the whole carb on hot water for a bit then try again. My favorite technique is to stick my pinky in from the top and hook the emulsion block that way. Seems to work better than reaching in through the side.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
          no do not soak the carbs with the oring still there you will ruin it and have to replace as for the block it looks like its the emulsion tubes that are blocked from the pics....... to get the emulsion tubes out you take a bowl screw and thread it were the main jet goes and tap with a hammer and it will come out

Just remember that the bowl screw is steel and the needle jet is brass so don't go banging very hard. A few taps should be enough to free the needle jet. The slide guides can be stubborn but once the needle jets are free you should be able to pull them out without much effort. Also know that the needle jets only go in one way, with the cutout facing the engine.
          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Realized I never followed up on this.

Thanks 1990gsx 600!!! Your advice was spot on! Unfortunately I couldn't get them all the way out with the float bowl screw but I took the screw to Ace and matched it up with a 1.25 long screw and have punched all the jet blocks out of the carbs!

Still soaking the carbs and trying to figure out a way to fix that broken little metal hose in the last picture. Don't even know its purpose, but blew some air through it to figure out where its going.

Think I could just JB Weld it back like the previous owner did? Do I really need to buy a whole carb to fix that?

Thanks a bunch guys!
            1989 Katana GSX750F
            1995 CB250 Nighthawk
            2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

Working...
            X