X

Busted chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted chain

So I did this a while back and am only just now getting around to fixing it. Work and all that, but anyway, I didn't check my chain tension like an idiot, and my chain came off my rear sprocket after I pulled away from a stop light. Thankfully, I was going into a U-turn and I wasn't at speed, but I felt a sudden jerk and loss of power and I pulled the bike onto the sidwalk. I looked down and to my horror my chain was dragging on the ground. Picture at the bottom.

I need to order a new chain and I'm going to get a new rear sprocket just to be on the safe side, and I need to replace the chain tensioner on that side. I'm thinking of going with SV tensioners, but my friend was telling me there's some modding involved with SV tensioners.

My main concern is the swingarm. You can kind of tell by the picture, but the tensioner was pulled in & up and has damaged the metal lip on the end of the swingarm. I suppose it could be welded, if I took some metal bar and welded along the inside of the swingarm all the way around the lip. What do you all think of this strategy? I'd like to avoid replacing the swingarm if possible, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think you need to pull everything apart and inspect it very closely.

You may find that a replacement adjuster might not go back into that swing arm...

I'd probably play it safe and replace the swinger.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If it was mine Id straighten the end of that swinger with a hammer and put some bandit adjusters (SV would work also) on there. The bandit adjuster will hold better on all 4 sides so that top piece will have less stress on it. Just my 2 cents.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Ah, I meant to say Bandit, not SV. If I do end up replacing the swingarm, anyone know of someone who's got a parts bike for a pre?

Comment

G1 SV adjusters will also work.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yerp.

Comment

Working...
            X