X

Thought I had it running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I had it running

Where to start.... I picked up a 99 Katana 600 in trade recently as a project bike. The PO didn't really know how to maintain a motorcycle (or just didn't care) the day I picked up the bike he said after riding it recently, he couldn't get it to start. The bike had a brand new battery and it was charged (lights came on and power to the gauges) When I asked if he tried to push start it he said he didn't know you could pushed start it..... I just shook my head.

When I got the bike home, I found that the clutch switch was extremely dirty and was stuck. An easy fix, cleaned all the gunk off and gave it a quick squirt of WD-40 (I know temporary fix) After that it started right up. Sounded rough and wouldn't stay running unless the choke was on, but she started. So my buddy and I decided that the carbs probably needed a thorough cleaning (which they did) Also drained the tank and cleaned that as well, smelled like really old gas.

Interestingly the A/F screws were all at different turns out (one was at 2.5 another at 5, another at 4.25) So we cleaned the carbs and set the A/F screws at 2.5 initially and put her back together to see how we did. Still didn't want to stay running without the choke. So back to adjusting the A/F screws 1/4 turn until we finally got it running without the choke. Ended at 4.5 out on the A/F screws, figured that was because it had a full yosh exhaust. Then we synced the carbs and took her for a little ride. Ran pretty good but smelled a little rich on the fuel side and still sounded a bit on the rough side.

We decided to park her and tinker with it some more at another time (the wives were giving us the look) so we finally get back to it after she had been sitting for a week. Now she won't stay running without the choke on again. Any suggestions before I throw in the towel and shell out the cash for the stealership to fix it? I'd like to be able to keep the cost low on her if its something I can do myself.
    Last edited by desertaliloff; 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM.

Help bump

Comment

You didn't get all the junk out of the pilot circuit OR there's rust in the fuel tank clogging the lines.

Mozzy, it's safe to let the OP bump their own threads.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah we decided to pull them off and clean them again.

Comment

thats not gonna help any if there is rust in the tank itll clog again so clean and seal the tank than reclean your carbs
          time to nut up or shut up
          Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
          The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X