X

Changed battery and my Katana wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed battery and my Katana wont start

Just picked up an 88 katana today. Dealt with tons of problems and finally got it to crank and run. But the battery would need to be jumped to get it running. Went out and bought a new battery and now the bike wont get power. Not turning over, no lights, nothing. Ive tried jumping it and it wont get any power.

Checked the fuses and they look good. Any ideas what it might be?

There are a lot of wires and ive looked for loose ones but haven't found any so far.

Re-check you connections at the battery, check the ground wire that goes to the frame off the battery. Pull the fuses in the block and make sure that the pins they sit in are not all corroded. Check the main fuse in front of the battery box.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

May be an obvious question but: Did you put acid in the battery and completely charge it?
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

are you checking all the fuses
        Not sure about the "pre" Katana but my 04 has a fuse block under the seat but also has a "main fuse" located behind the fairing on the left side
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

are you actually trying to start the bike or a cucumber?

Comment

WTF?
            Tejasandre

Comment

Thanks for the love for a new guy, too most of you. I figured it out, there is a switch thing like a main fuse maybe on the right side of the bike that popped out some how. Popped that in and it worked. THat was the source of all problems. Its my first bike and im new so i dont know what everything is yet.

Fuses seem fine, did put acid in the battery and about a half charge, but she starts fine now. So far I changed up the grips, put a new battery in it, some fresh gas and am running some injector cleaner through it. Bought some oil and brake fluid.

How much oil does one of these bikes hold. It says like 3.6Ls but that seems like kind of alot.

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
              Re-check you connections at the battery, check the ground wire that goes to the frame off the battery. Pull the fuses in the block and make sure that the pins they sit in are not all corroded. Check the main fuse in front of the battery box.
              Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              are you checking all the fuses
              Not sure about the "pre" Katana but my 04 has a fuse block under the seat but also has a "main fuse" located behind the fairing on the left side
              Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              May be an obvious question but: Did you put acid in the battery and completely charge it?

Comment

Buy 4 quarts and you will have a little left over with a filter change.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

If you hooked the battery up backwards, it will pop the main breaker.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

just did my oil and filter 3.6L spot on

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                      Buy 4 quarts and you will have a little left over with a filter change.
                      Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Originally posted by heepsgood View Post
                      just did my oil and filter 3.6L spot on
                      Im holding off on the oil for now. Im unsure what to do but im treating it like one of my cars the usual suspects are royal purple, mobil 1, anything else thats proven.

I took the fairings off to paint them and im disgusted with what I found, the guy took like silver engine paint and sprayed the head of the engine down without any masking, hit a section of the frame and the overspray is rediculous.

I have professional paint guns for my race cars, im a powder coater, and am okay at doing gereral work. But this task is going to be hell.

Comment

you should always connect the + teminal first then the -
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

You guys got any ideas for fixing gauges. The speedo works but the backlight doesn't light up.

The tach only goes to 2K and then gets stuck and the backlight also does work.

The fuel gauge does work all functions althoguh idk how accurate it is.

I ebayed it but it looks like im spending 40 bucks a gauge low end or 120+ for the whole pod. Plus idk what would happen to the miles then.

Comment

The backlight is probably a burned out bulb....

as for going to 2k... is it the gauge or the motor?
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The backlight is probably a burned out bulb....

as for going to 2k... is it the gauge or the motor?
                              Hmm thats cool. I haven't attempted to dismantle anything in fear of it not going back together because of the age and condition of the bike. But ill take it apart and replace the bulbs and maybe the tach motor if i can find one and see what happens.

The motor is located in the gauge pod right?

Comment

Working...
                              X