1st oil change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st oil change

Hey,

Just curious how often do you guys change your oil? I was told every 2000 miles to be safe on a bike but other people have told me they wait till about 3000 miles. I'm coming up on 2000 miles and am wondering if I should change it now. Also haven't changed the oil in my bike yet but always change the oil in my car by myself. Is changing the oil just as easy on a bike? Let me know.

Thanks guys,

Nick

I change mine at every 3,000 miles. Manual I believe recommends every 7,000 miles I believe. I stick to 3k though, just how my daddy raised me

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Ya I stick with 3k. Only running full synthetic. And changing oil is easier, don't need to crawl under anything
      2000 Katana 600

Comment

how do you change the oil on a katana?

Comment

Drain plug on the bottom of motor, loosen and remove, drain oil into appropriate container. Spin off old filter at the front of the motor under the header pipes. Install new filter with oil seal moistened with fresh oil. replace drain plug, refill with about 4 quarts of correct oil. start it and check for leaks. recheck oil level on center stand. Go ride the hell out of it.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Run the bike a fewminutes first, makes the oil flow better, take care not to burn your fingers

Use torque wrench to fasten drain plug so you dont strip the treads
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

4000 miles or 4 month whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 full synthetic.

also:
              - every other times change the oil filter and clean/replace air filter.
              - lube the chain every other times after filling up the tank.
              sigpic
              2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                Drain plug on the bottom of motor, loosen and remove, drain oil into appropriate container. Spin off old filter at the front of the motor under the header pipes. Install new filter with oil seal moistened with fresh oil. replace drain plug, refill with about 4 quarts of correct oil. start it and check for leaks. recheck oil level on center stand. Go ride the hell out of it.
                Don't forget to fill the filter and burp it.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

alright thanks guys appreciate it.

Comment

Easy and cheaper than engine work!
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Don't forget to fill the filter and burp it.
                      That's a new one on me! Is this vitally necessary or just helpful (or sarcastic?!).

If so... I assume you'd fill the oil filter full to the top w/ motor oil before screwing it back in (no point in burping it if you get an air bubble b/c it wasn't full).

If one doesn't do this (I never have), then is there a problem, i.e. certain parts robbed of oil while the resevoir fills the filter, or a problem from having air in the oil system etc.?
                      The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                        That's a new one on me! Is this vitally necessary or just helpful (or sarcastic?!).

If so... I assume you'd fill the oil filter full to the top w/ motor oil before screwing it back in (no point in burping it if you get an air bubble b/c it wasn't full).

If one doesn't do this (I never have), then is there a problem, i.e. certain parts robbed of oil while the resevoir fills the filter, or a problem from having air in the oil system etc.?
                        I have never done such a thing
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Its so you dont have a dry start with your engine. Meaning oil is always in the system being circulated. With and empty filter you have few seconds of no oil getting to the engine. With the filter full there is an instant charge of oil on start up.

I dont pre-fill mine, I dont even fill mine on fresh engines Ive rebuilt. I personally think there is enough oil coating the internals of the engine to prevent any damage for that half a second that it takes to fill the filter. Just my 2 cents.

--Usefull information no one cares about: The Suzuki manual says 7k for oil changes and ever other replacement for your engine filter for normal daily driving. Severe driving is 3.5k miles and a new filter ever oil change.

Severe driving is considering stop and go traffic and short distances, which basically what most everyone does. They extend the oil changes for consumer reports to keep down the "yearly maintenance cost."
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                          X