Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

need help bike sat cleaned and still smokes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help bike sat cleaned and still smokes.

I have an 01 katana 600 bike sat for 5 weeks. yes the fuel got into crank case. cleaned all up pulled carbs cleaned new air filter and plugs. now i cant get the bike to stop smoking kinda a greyish color could someone please tell me what it might be. new seals or what. thanks for your time.

I'm hoping you changed the oil also? Drain whats left of the fuel in the tank and replace with fresh fuel and fix whatever the problem is for fuel finding it's way into the crankcase. That would be pulling the carbs apart and cleaning the float needles, set height, make sure they move freely up and down without restriction, and finally make sure the float needles seal off completely.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Ok here is where it stands now. Yes new fuel, oil, clean carbs, air filter, and plugs as of yesterday before i made this thread. As of last night changed oil again. Most of smoke is all gone but not all of it. still smokes espically when i let off the throttle or rev it up over 5k. anyone got any suggestions. its like a light grey color smoke.

Comment

you sure it didn't smoke befor it sat...

Comment

no if it did i wouldnt be concered now. just trying to pin point it. if its seals i might just rebuild the thing. its got 14k on it. but it has no loss of oil so it got me confused. if i haul *** in any gear then let off the gas is when it smokes at that point more then anything. at idle it dont smoke.

Comment

does it smell like is burning oil? or does it smell more like coolent? youll no what i mean when u smell it... if its oil then u may have a few of problems: oil rings on the pistons gone bad (if it sat long they could be stuck), vavle seals worn out, cranck case breather spitting oil into the intake (probably this). if its coolent then: head gasket, warped head, or cracked cylinder wall (mostly from over heating (all 3)). is it loosing power at all?? if it is the crank case breather, take off the hose that goes from it to the intake box and try it then.... if its loosing power, do a commpression test then a leak down test to see where the "power" is going

and it doesnt take much oil to make it smoke. you probably havnt had it running long enough to burn a "visable" amount of oil..... if it even is oil lol
            Last edited by boomer_95; 08-07-2010, 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

well not coolant. its aircooled wooo saved there. lol just kiddin. when i drained cleaned carbs and all that i didnt notice where oil was coming up into the air filter anymore. but yes at times i do smell oil.

Comment

is it loosing power at all???

Comment

no thats what i dont understand. kinda runs better since the clean carbs and plugs. got me baffled. like i said if sits no smoke i rev it up over 4k then some smoke. ride its with holding throttle no smoke let off throttle smoke.

Comment

huuuu???? well my best guess is either the rings or the valve seals.... well id put some transmition fluid or oil down the cylinder, wait about a day, do an oil change then ride the snot out of it, like your breaking in the bike to see if the rings dont come free. if that doesnt work then your rings are really f'ed up or its your valve seals...

Comment

ok thinkin about rebuild new rings and seals anyone know a price for that i can do it myself but havent had the time or money to look it up. but i did want to ask something. Its seams like i still might have a carb prob. still have trouble getting it to idle right could that still cause a prob with smoke?

Comment

Well all I can suggest are some niccotine patches...

Comment

Do not worry about it yet. the gas "washed" the rings out so basically they have to re seat themselves just drive it normal and i bet it will stop
                          1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X