Clear All

• I think the bearing is shot WITH PICS

I got a call from my sister first thing this morning
    "I think I blew a wheel bearing"
    She was towing the boat about 7 or 800km and I am about half way
    She said she could hear a "squeeking noise"

The only thing keeping the wheel from falling off was the axle nut
    All the roller bearing where gone
    I had to track down a new hub because the outer race had been spun so much it was falling out
    the inner race of the outer bearing was welded in place ,I had to cut it with a grinder to get it off the spindle

It is a Long weekend so most trailer places are closed but For less than $100 I got a new hub ,new bearings both sides (IMHO I dont think the other side was going to make the rest of the trip ),new seals and new dust caps

when I pulled the other hub the grease felt like it had shards of glass in it
    Attached Files
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

that could have been a very bad thing at least no one was hurt
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Got lucky on that one
      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

ouch...nuff said!

Comment

Last time that happened to me it chewed up the spindle so bad I had to replace to axle. Youre lucky you got off cheap.

Btw, its better to use to Red grease, made for GM and foreign cars, than it is to use that dark black crap.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Last time that happened to me it chewed up the spindle so bad I had to replace to axle. Youre lucky you got off cheap.

Btw, its better to use to Red grease, made for GM and foreign cars, than it is to use that dark black crap.
            I would not say the spindle is a 100%, it was grooved where the seal runs even
            She hit the road again and should be at her final destination by now
            No phone calls so hopefully that is good ,not sure she would think to call and let me know she made it OK

There is a local place that I could pick up an axle for $100 or so but I had no intention of trying to change that on the side of the road without torches to cut the ubolts

It was brown wheel bearing grease on the other side ,I use to be able to get a water proof grease that worked well for boat trailers
            Last edited by rexazz2; 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

looks like someone skipped the maintenance part of the program. glad it wasn't worse.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Wow, lucky for her. This is why I repack my bearings at least every other year on my trailer.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Dont loan her your bike......lol

good no one was hurt.......
                  sigpic
                  98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                  Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                    Wow, lucky for her. This is why I repack my bearings at least every other year on my trailer.

She said they had taken it in and a guy checked them and said they where OK

She called last night when she got to the final destination , said she stopped 3X and checked the wheels (wow she listened)
                    Said every thing was great
                    Last edited by rexazz2; 08-01-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X