X

Katana 400 1993 Does not accelerate at low RPM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 400 1993 Does not accelerate at low RPM

I recently bought a Kantana 400cc (with the papers saying it's model of 1993, personally looks more like the 1989 model).

I changed spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, cleaned carburator and changed oil.

Since I bought it, whenever I start on the first gear of I drop let's say from 3rd to 2nd and my rpm is below 4.5k, seems that the gas in not responding, no matter how much I give nothing happens. This is something that kills me especially when I stop and have to start again on uphills, since I have to rev up a lot and play a couple of time with my clutch in order to accelerate enough.

Also, I have noticed that when I go above 9k, white smoke comes out of the exhaust and smells like gas (I'm guessing unburnt gas??).

Any suggestions? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

the stalling sounds like a carb issue, either its still not cleaned good enough or the sync is wrong. or maybe reassembled in a wrong way.

white smoke is water in the combustion chamber
    blue smoke is oil burning in the combustion chamber
    black smoke is when you run rich ( too much gas vs to little air )

on a second thought, what brand of air filter did you buy ? if you installed a K&N that could be the reason for all of this ( they dont run well on these bikes ). The K&N might be letting in water droplets that have condensed during the night on the air filter.

Btw. does it smell like gas at idle or at higher RPM also ?

welcome to the forum btw.
    Last edited by mammut89; 07-31-2010, 03:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

400cc WTF? a scooter!!?
      03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
      04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
      08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
      10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
      05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
        400cc WTF? a scooter!!?
        European model... Lots of smaller CC versions of the bikes you comonly know in Europe. Looks just like the pre 600 body, but weighs in at almost 100 lbs less.

1989 GSX400F

Other bikes of that time frame also not much available in the US...

GSX-R 400...

RVG-250 Gamma

GSX-R 250s...

Bandit 250...

An OEM 250 streetfighter based upon the GSX-R series... The GSX 250 Cobra.

That's just for 1989 and just suzuki... There are lots of other versions of bikes out there even today not offered in the U.S.

For example... again with just suzuki...

The GSR-600 (basically a baby B-king)

And this baby... (I want!...)

GSX1250FA....

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So I'm guessing the white smoke is most probably gas mixed with water (Greece is not very popular for its gas, some gas stations mix gas with water). About the air filter, I bought the original suzuki filter and I followed the instructions before installing it (placed it in motor oil etc.).

It smells like gas after the temperature sensor goes above middle.

The carbs were cleaned by a motorcycle mechanic in my neighborhood, should I take them off by myself and clean them again? Is there a guide to take me step by step on how to clean the carbs?

Thanks for the help and for welcoming me to the forum

Comment

Holy crap Krey, you must have a lot of free time...
            '03 600 Kat
            '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Problem found now the parts?

Finally the problems is on the clutch discs, I need to change them. Any ideas where to find good deals for them? Is the GSXF 400 using same clutch discs as the bandit 400 and the GSXR 400?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 4banger View Post
                Holy crap Krey, you must have a lot of free time...
                Krey knows his ****....... and this forum is lucky to have him.

I'm no mechanic, but white smoke might also indicate a cracked head gasket.... at least in a car..... not sure if the same could apply to your issue, though.

Originally posted by alderfc7 View Post
                Finally the problems is on the clutch discs, I need to change them. Any ideas where to find good deals for them? Is the GSXF 400 using same clutch discs as the bandit 400 and the GSXR 400?

Thanks
                Ummmmm....problem found......share the info.... it might come up again.
                Last edited by Slofuze; 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

On a car that is liquid cooled a leaking head gasket causes the anti-freeze to enter the combuation chamber and burn causing the white smoke. Since the Kat is oil cooled a cracked head or head gasket wouldn't cause white smoke. I do also think you have contaminated fuel. You may have a problem with your clutch fibers but that doesn't fix a white smoke issue. OEM clutch is fine to go with, any Suzuki dealer.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                  X