X

Snapped chain, broken cover......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped chain, broken cover......

Somebody tell me it will be fine. I'm out of the country for another month, and yesterday my friend tells me that the chain snapped while he was riding my bike, and it wrapped up on the front sprocket, cracking the sprocket cover.

Every bad thing that could possibly have happened has gone through my head..... is the case cracked? Is the countershaft bearing trashed? Are there broken off bolts stuck in the case? Is the clutch pushrod broken off and stuck in the case? He said he was going no more than 5mph, but since he seems to think my bike is a wheelie machine, I doubt it was at light throttle.

I really hope that I just need to replace the chain, sprocket cover and pushrod. If that's all it takes, I'll be thrilled. I really won't know anything until I can get him to pull the cover off, take the chain off, and send me some pictures.......... but please, somebody tell me that I didn't just spend countless hours this winter putting that thing back together just to put 1000 miles on it and then have my friend trash the engine while I'm gone. What are my odds for having cracked the case or ruined the countershaft bearing? Anyone?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

My bike is like my wife- only I am allowed to ride it!
    All kinds of things can go wrong with a chain breaking. First, if he were really going only 5 mph, the chain would likely be neatly laid out on the highway behind the bike. Plus, it is pretty difficult to do 5mph on a kat 1100!
    Ask your friend if there is any oil leaking from the area. Any oil, even a drop can be bad (cracked case).
    If there is no leakaage, you can be optimistic. Hell, I have heard of people taking cracked covers and gluing them with JB cold weld.
    However, this is just one of those things where you really won't know what is wrong until you take the cover off and peek around.

Comment

Yeah i had the same thing happen to me..just replace pushrod and chain (If) there is no oil leaks cooming from the housing.

When it happen i replaced the pushrod chail and the seal that the pushrod sits in.

I have to replacement sprocket cover just havent had time to install it,And yeah the old one was busted pretty good.

Comment

where exactly is the clutch pushrod located?also how would you go about replacing this rod?pics if you have any thanx

Comment

Here's hoping he stopped before the bearing let go, I guess it all depends on what he did right after.

Sorry man, that sucks hard. Did it have a clip link or did the rivets just let go?
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Here's hoping he stopped before the bearing let go, I guess it all depends on what he did right after.

Sorry man, that sucks hard. Did it have a clip link or did the rivets just let go?
            This thread is from July. I fixed it the day after I got back with a cover from eGhey, another clutch pushrod (I had a few hanging around already), and a new chain.

It was a clip type, though (as it still is now), but I've never had a clip fail before then, or since. I do actually have a rivet type master link for the new chain, but I never put it on.

Originally posted by flipflopkat View Post
            where exactly is the clutch pushrod located?also how would you go about replacing this rod?pics if you have any thanx
            I didn't take any pictures. It took me all of a half hour to fix everything. The rod runs between the cover and the engine case. It's impossible to miss it. Mine was broken off inside the case, so I took off the clutch cover and took the clutch basket cover off and then smacked it back out with a 3/8" socket extension, IIRC.
            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 12-11-2010, 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              This thread is from July. I fixed it the day after I got back with a cover from eGhey, another clutch pushrod (I had a few hanging around already), and a new chain.

It was a clip type, though (as it still is now), but I've never had a clip fail before then, or since. I do actually have a rivet type master link for the new chain, but I never put it on.

I didn't take any pictures. It took me all of a half hour to fix everything. The rod runs between the cover and the engine case. It's impossible to miss it. Mine was broken off inside the case, so I took off the clutch cover and took the clutch basket cover off and then smacked it back out with a 3/8" socket extension, IIRC.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet--no further damage evident since then?
              I'm really glad to hear that. That kinda thing can be tough of a friendship.

Ciao,
              High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Didnt even realize, that'll teach me to post when tired...

The only clip link failures I've seen are when the clip is installed backward.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

how exactly do you take out the clutch pushrod?and install the new one?can you just pull out the old one and stick the new one in?any help is appreciated with the holiday season im just now receiving the new clutch pushrod any help is appreciated

Comment

That's exactly it. Take off the sprocket cover, pull the old pushrod out and put the new one in. Just make sure you get all the pieces of the old pushrod out if it's broken.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      That's exactly it. Take off the sprocket cover, pull the old pushrod out and put the new one in. Just make sure you get all the pieces of the old pushrod out if it's broken.
                      That is a scary thing! Hopefully you can put all the pieces together so you KNOW you got all of it!
                      95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                      Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                      ---
                      I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

ok i got one pice out but im not sure if i got it all out and the new clutch pushrod is sticking to far out to put the sprocket cover on.what would cause this did i not get all of the old pushrod out?

Comment

Originally posted by flipflopkat View Post
                          ok i got one pice out but im not sure if i got it all out and the new clutch pushrod is sticking to far out to put the sprocket cover on.what would cause this did i not get all of the old pushrod out?
                          Make sure the side sticking out is actually fitting into the little cam that is attached to the clutch cable. There's a little depression it fits into and it took me a few tries to line it up right since you can't really see in there while putting the cover back on; just have to go by feel

Comment

its not that i checked and lined the rod up with the little indention in the sprocket cover and its not that.its just sticking out to far,and i cant figure out why

ok i took everything apart now and i can see all the way through so theirs nothing blocking it or left in their. so all of the old rod is out.what other reason for the push rod to be sticking out to far?are the 600 and 750 push rods the same lengh?
                            Last edited by flipflopkat; 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the clutch pivot is adjustable. maybe it's adjusted wrong? be sure you have enough slack in the cable.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                              X