X

"Pop" or "Knock" from exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pop" or "Knock" from exhaust?

I was riding around the neighborhood today and got this pop sound or something. Kind of like it was being revved up and missed a bit then POP...but I was only in 2nd when it happened doing barely 20. It happened once or twice in gear so I thought maybe I didnt have the RPMs up high enough but I put it in neutral when I parked and revved it up and happened again...any clues?

Without knowing anything else, you might be getting just a bit of backfire in the exhaust. It happens to me, mostly after I slow down a bit after some spirited acceleration like if I'm passing a car on a 2 lane road, I'll knock it down to 5th, maybe 4th, I'll usually get a little "pop" once I hit it back up to 6th and get back down to cruising speed. That "might" be the issue, in which case you'll need to adjust the carb a bit.
    1997 GSX-F 750

Comment

Thanks...I need to take it in just to get it looked at and a clean bill of health...will let the mechanic know.

Thanks!

Comment

Might be the air/fuel mixture screws need adjusting. I used to get the popping on deceleration after I put on the Yosh. I adjusted the A/F mixture and the popping was gone.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by teleskier97 View Post
          Without knowing anything else, you might be getting just a bit of backfire in the exhaust. It happens to me, mostly after I slow down a bit after some spirited acceleration like if I'm passing a car on a 2 lane road, I'll knock it down to 5th, maybe 4th, I'll usually get a little "pop" once I hit it back up to 6th and get back down to cruising speed. That "might" be the issue, in which case you'll need to adjust the carb a bit.

Same thing here. I kinda like it. Theirs an old racing saying that goes:
          "Lean is Mean" It's true!
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment