X

It's always the last bolt...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's always the last bolt...

Well, I'm removing my aftermarket exhaust that was on the bike when I bought it, to replace with OEM... apparently it wasn't installed with anti-seize. I let it soak in PB Blaster for 3 days, and today I was able to get 7 of the 8 header bolts out. The last one is really stuck in there and beginning to strip (on the head), and I can already see the aluminum shavings coming out at the bolt hole Going to have a fun time extracting that one...

Two of the other bolts that came out had some minor stripping at the engine head as well.

-For those of you who have tapped to a larger opening, what size did you use?
    -What is the original bolt size?
    -Did you just remove the front wheel and fender to make room for a drill?
    -Is it necessary to remove the oil cooler to drill? Never done that, so I'm not sure how much oil would come out if I did...
    Last edited by rolofung; 07-04-2010, 02:40 AM.
    1993 GSX750F

Did you attempt to remove the offending bolt with a hot engine as this sometimes helps? Also sometimes tightening the bolt a bit first breaks the rust lock. I remember this happened with my first GSX600F and I used a drill and a chisel eventually it broke off, and I managed with 1 bolt on that header, a right PITA!

Comment

I had a similar problem and was able to extract the bolt with a tool called Grab-bit. It has the boring and extracting bits and really gets a lot of torque.

Comment

try vice grips, thats usually my last resort before a extract and i have good luck thus far

Comment

hm well i had to break the head of the bolt off. drilled out enough material until it was weak, then snapped it.

I guess it is cross-threaded, because even before the socket head stripped, it took an incredible amount of torque to turn the bolt bit by bit - i felt like i was taking off a stuck lug nut, and it never loosened up even after 1 to 1.5 turns by the time head stripped.

Anyway, now that I broken the top of the bolt off, I can take off the exhaust tomorrow.
          What do I do with the stud sticking out? Time to rent an angle grinder and then drill/retap?
          1993 GSX750F

Comment

I decided I'm going to have a shop extract this for me. It seems like a skilled hand is needed to extract this without doing damage.

Is this list of replacement parts right for pulling the head? (for a pre 750)

Exhaust header gaskets (4)
            Valve cover oil line O-rings (2)
            Cam tensioner gasket (1)
            Cylinder head O-rings (6)
            Head gasket (1)
            Last edited by rolofung; 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM.
            1993 GSX750F

Comment

A "stud extractor" tool should get that out quite easily, probably cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH1 View Post
                A "stud extractor" tool should get that out quite easily, probably cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.
                I agree. A stud extractor should do it for you. Post back and let us know your results.

Comment

Ah ok thanks, I had no idea they made such things... I had no luck with a regular screw extractor. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. I really hope it works because I am pretty sure the threads are crossed or smashed together...
                  Last edited by rolofung; 07-10-2010, 03:54 AM.
                  1993 GSX750F

Comment

Is there enough thread left to thread on a nut or 2? If you can re tap it and add 2 nuts, you have a good chance of turning it out. If you can only get one nut on, I have a welder and would try to weld the nut to the stud like a bolt head.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I tried the 2 nut trick today, but couldn't get enough clearance to get a long enough wrench in there (and nuts eventually started slipping because the metal they were made of was softer).

I wish I hadn't cut the head off because I JUST discovered these, Craftsman bolt-out.

It wouldn't be such a problem if the bolt were bigger, because 8mm (the diameter of the bolt) is the smallest size socket they make. So I've got one shot at this. I'll pick up the set tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
                      1993 GSX750F

Comment

Well darn, that didn't work. Might keep this bolt-out set though.
                        I contacted a couple shops to see what they can do.

In the meantime, anybody know the dimensions of the stock bolts? I only have the ones that came off my V&H.
                        1993 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by TRH1 View Post
                          Don't give up on the stud extractor! It grips the stud on the outside and will develop some serious torque. More than enough to snap the stud so be careful.
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                          Black painted seat and rear trim,
                          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

It's an M6x1.0 , I'm thinking ..... Don't know the length , though .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X