Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

4 years old with only 600 miles - how to get it in shape?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 years old with only 600 miles - how to get it in shape?

I have just bought my wife a used 2006 GSX600F and pick it up in a few days. The bike has only 600 miles on it and looks brand new. I also got it at a decent price.

The problem is that the bike has never had its first service even though its 4 years old, the fuel is very old and stale and the last 80 miles have been multiple test rides by folks looking at it at the dealership before me. Prior to the test rides, I suspect the bike sat for a long time.

The bike starts and idles smoothly enough and seems to rev freely without flat spots (despite the fact that the fuel in it is still the old stuff), but there is noticable hesitation in the engine taking off in first and what seems to be a lack of "snap" in the throttle repsonse. The bikes takes a second or two for revs to settle down after a quick twist of the throttle. Performance-wise the bike seems Ok, but very mild mannered. I do not know if this is normal or not as I have zero experience of 600's. The oil in the sight glass looks black and dirty.

My question is this; does anyone have any advice for getting this bike into good, relaible shape given the unknown/dubious first four years / 600 miles of its life?

I'm planning on doing a comprehensive first service by the book, changing all fluids, getting fresh gas into her and running a few tanks through, and checking tires, brakes, chain, clutch etc.

I really don't want to pull the carbs and clean them and don't know if its necessary. What symptoms would indicate carb problems?

Are there any safe fuel additives that might help clean the carbs/jets if they are a little gummed up?

Thanks in advance for your opinions - (all are welcome).

Carb cleaning and sync, oil change, spark plugs, check sprockets and chain, replace factory air filter, fork oil, check gas tank for rust...I think these are the main things but I might be missing something. Try 1/3 of a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank first before the carb cleaning/sync.

Comment

Pull battery and replace. If it's been sitting for 3.5 yrs without a charger on it, tis toast even if it holds a charge temporarily. Lube and retention chain, check tire pressure, and all bulbs. Age of gas seems questionable, obviously not from 06 anyway. Was the bike stored indoors, was the tank drained before it was setup? Drain tank and run your lawn mower with it, put new gas in that you know the date of.

When talking hesitation, bike was cold? warmed up? just dropped the choke and took off? Does the same thing with the fuel selector set to PRI?

600s like RPM, it's their friend. A lot of people here cruise them at 6-6.5K RPM. Should be easy handling in the corners and a fairly smooth comfortable street ride compared to a SS.

Comment

Change the oil and ride it. When it needs gas put gas in it.

Comment

Originally posted by wfrpalm View Post
          Change the oil and ride it. When it needs gas put gas in it.
          I'm interpreting your response as meaning that this bike is pretty bullet proof! I hope your right

Originally posted by mcornelius View Post
          Carb cleaning and sync, oil change, spark plugs, check sprockets and chain, replace factory air filter, fork oil, check gas tank for rust...I think these are the main things but I might be missing something. Try 1/3 of a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank first before the carb cleaning/sync.
          Seems like a comprehensive list and similar to what I was planning to do. I've never heard of Sea Foam but will check it out - thanks. I'm hoping to avoid having to strip down the carbs as I don't really know how to do this competently.

BTW: What does it mean to "synch" the carbs?

Originally posted by Vandil View Post
          Pull battery and replace. If it's been sitting for 3.5 yrs without a charger on it, tis toast even if it holds a charge temporarily. Lube and retention chain, check tire pressure, and all bulbs. Age of gas seems questionable, obviously not from 06 anyway. Was the bike stored indoors, was the tank drained before it was setup? Drain tank and run your lawn mower with it, put new gas in that you know the date of.

When talking hesitation, bike was cold? warmed up? just dropped the choke and took off? Does the same thing with the fuel selector set to PRI?

600s like RPM, it's their friend. A lot of people here cruise them at 6-6.5K RPM. Should be easy handling in the corners and a fairly smooth comfortable street ride compared to a SS.
          Thanks for the tips. Yeah, battery was toast didn't even pretend to hold a charge, but got dealer to throw a new Yuasa in with the deal.

The hesitation was when the bike was at normal temp with the choke off. To overcome it I had to rev the bike higher than seemed natural as I released the clutch. Makes me wonder if the float bowl was empty??? Maybe floats need adjusting?
          Last edited by C-Man; 06-25-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Seems like a battery is all need need and new oil ,drain the gas check gas filtier if it looks clean go with it , use some sea foam and run it out about 200 miles then keep chevron super in it for a while to get the carbs clean , i would not tear into them , this should work . CLEAN CHAIN GOOD .

Comment

To Sync the carbs mean to check the Vacuum available to them. The concept of it, is to make the carb work at its most efficient level with the vacuum available to it.

Signs it could need synced is : less power, bogging at various RPM's, poor performance.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Just bought a 2005 YZF600R with 2000 miles on it. Been sitting. Here's what I plan on doing / have done:

- Clean chain. Then clean chain again. Then lube chain. Then ride bike to get chain warm. Then repeat clean and lube
                - Flush brake fluid (get a Mityvac or vacuum pump. Just hook it up to the bleeder. Open the front (and then the rear) master cylinder. Pump up the mityvac, crack the bleeder loose, and let all the old fluid get pulled out. Don't let the master cylinder run dry.
                - Check tires for dry rot and flat spots. Look at replacing them soon.
                - Change the oil. Personally I wouldn't run synthetic yet. New filter.
                - Change the fuel filter (it's cruddy trust me)
                - Charge the battery if it's needed
                - Lube the cables if they seem stiff
                - Run the gas out that's in there. Put about half a bottle of Seafoam in the tank, fill up with fresh gas and run it.

NOTE: If you feel a hesitation off idle, doesn't seem to start quickly..try some new spark plugs. Made a WORLD of difference with my YZF. They only had 2K miles, but they were 5 years old and been sitting.

If you are still getting hesitation, stumble after a few tanks of Seafoam / Techron and gas...time for a quick carb clean.

Good Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                X