X

high rpm problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high rpm problem

I have a kat 2006 600cc and when i get around 8000 rpm's it starts to really sputter and cut out. Was wondering if someone could help with the problem. I thought it might have been some bad gas but it still does it ?

what mods done to the bike? when did it start it? how many miles on bike?

does it feel like lean or running flat? or does it fall on face? can you accelerate out of it? or does it do it all the way to redline? is it only a certain RPM range?

it could be your running lean with a slipon or ANYTHING besides OEM air filter.
    it could be a carb issues. cleaning and syncing is always a plus!
    how about Valve clearances?

general maintenance?

does it do it when the bike is cold? or all the time?
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

check your vacuum line to the petcock (carb 4 right side of the bike), and the petcock itself.

go run the bike the same way with the petcock on PRIME. if the problem does not re-occur, you have a petcock or vacuum issue to the petcock.

if it still occurs, and you have a post, check the fuel filter also.

i had a similar issue when my petcock vac line got plugged.. the bike literally ran out of gas.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

The bike has about 14,000 miles on it. I just added a D@D slip on but it was kinda doing it before that. When riding it is perfectly fine with plenty of power up to about 7000 to 8000 rpm if you let off the gas it will fall and run fine but if i try and give it gas it feels like the bike completly loses power.

Comment

Yep - petcock vac line
          - fuel filters
          - air filter
          are where I would start.

Pull plugs for a look at clues in mixture / missing.

Might need a quick check of float levels and carb clean. Start with the drain screws and see what comes out. Also check needles are seated correctly. (Mechanic failed to reinstall the spring on the needle in #2 carb on mine. It ran like **** at times - couldn't figure out why having just paid a fortune for the service - but eventually realised it was based on volume of fuel in tank!!!)

And if it hasn't been done yet, a check of valve clearances.

Recently did float levels and valve clearances on mine - absolutely transformed the bike.

Comment

Working...
          X